Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split this into two batches. I did the original recipe with Notty and fermented in my conical, cold crashed for 4 days. The other batch I did in a regular carboy in the sink with a water bath and used US05. So far the US05 samples seem sharper. The notty samples were more rounded. Will post updates and pics soon!

Anyone try reducing/omitting the hops and using this as a base for a sour? Not sure if it was already discussed, but I didn't see mention on the pages I read through.

Decided to use this recipe as my first BIAB attempt and I brewed it today.

BIAB was 100% more fun than the Extract kits that I’ve brewed in the past.

Picked up all the ingredients from a local HBS.

While I missed the post boil quantity by .25 Gallon I hit the og dead on!

Great day brewing, hope it comes out good!

Thanks BierMuncher.....

2nd time brewing this next week. I modified the recipe to include 2x TBSP of coriander @ 10m.
I am having to fight my family and neighbors off from drinking it all.
I aged it in the keg for a month and it smoothed out and the flavors harmonized really well.

Reporting back. It's definitely infected! Confirmed by a BJCP judge and a few head brewers. Now I'll say we all agreed it wasn't bad and would be a passable belgian blonde, due to the slight phenols, but I'm really not into that style. Anywho I've since upgraded to a glass fermenter as the source of infections has been nailed down to being the bucket. May try rebrewing this over the summer with Nottingham (on the low end) for giggles.

Decided to use this recipe as my first BIAB attempt and I brewed it today.

BIAB was 100% more fun than the Extract kits that I’ve brewed in the past.

Picked up all the ingredients from a local HBS.

While I missed the post boil quantity by .25 Gallon I hit the og dead on!

Great day brewing, hope it comes out good!

Thanks BierMuncher.....

Hey Thegundog, Getting ready to do a BIAB on this one. How was the grains milled? Normal or very fine in order to hit the OG?

Hey Thegundog, Getting ready to do a BIAB on this one. How was the grains milled? Normal or very fine in order to hit the OG?

KT.... I told my local home brew store that the grains were for BIAB and I wanted them double milled, finely crushed (after reading everywhere that this improved efficiency). The proprietary explained that is was not necessary for him to double mill as he had a brand new 3 roller mill and as he described "it is bad a#$". So I trusted his expertise and went with his suggestions - my grains were single milled.

While draining the grain bag, I did squeeze it pretty thoroughly.

Good luck with your next batch and have fun!

I split this into two batches. I did the original recipe with Notty and fermented in my conical, cold crashed for 4 days. The other batch I did in a regular carboy in the sink with a water bath and used US05. So far the US05 samples seem sharper. The notty samples were more rounded. Will post updates and pics soon!

1/13/19 Update

Well after 2 weeks in the keg here are results.

Left: US05 fermented in carboy water bath basically no temp control.

Right: Nottingham fermented in temp controlled conical and I used gelatin and cold crashed for several days.

IMG_4657.JPG

I love Nottingham in my Brown Ales and really like this yeast, however it really mutes and rounds out this recipe. The US05 is brighter, crisp and seems to have a dryer finish. Both of these beers finished at 1.010 and ended up 5.25%. I forgot my efficiency was better with lower gravity brews and forgot to adjust. I rarely brew anything under 6%.

I’m really not into lagers or light abv such as this beer, but I wanted something for a quick turn around. The US05 batch is by far so much better beer!

Cheers!!

Last edited:
I let it ride 3 weeks in primary and now that it's been 2+ weeks in the keg it is really rounding into form. I can't detect any hops. It finished at 1.008 and is
20190119_210059-01.jpeg
lager-like. I used WLP090.

I made 11gal of this Blonde today. Fermenting with Wyeast 1098 British Ale this time, this will be the third yeast I've tried with this recipe ( ;

Took a final gravity reading on this and it was lower then expected. This is my first all grain batch I made. Can someone tell me what I may have done wrong? And what to expect when gravity is lower?

This thread says should be

Brewers friend said

FG here said should be 1.008
Brewers Friend said 1.011

My actual numbers

OG was 1.041
FG is 1.004 and should be 1.008

So everything was pretty good except for the first few hours it was really cooking and it hit 74 degrees (when it calls for 68). So it could have been this high for about 6 or so hours. My new temperature controller (my fault) did not work right when I put it in. ALso should note temperature reading was from the thermometer on the fermenter. It did stabalize to 68 and been there since.

Just curious. It tasted ok. Going to make the same batch again to see what I could have messed up.

Took a final gravity reading on this and it was lower then expected. This is my first all grain batch I made. Can someone tell me what I may have done wrong? And what to expect when gravity is lower?

Brewers friend said

My actual numbers

OG was 1.041

sounds like you got a great fermentation there bud.

Brewers friend said

My actual numbers

OG was 1.041

So everything was pretty good except for the first few hours it was really cooking and it hit 74 degrees (when it calls for 68). So it could have been this high for about 6 or so hours. My new temperature controller (my fault) did not work right when I put it in. ALso should note temperature reading was from the thermometer on the fermenter. It did stabalize to 68 and been there since.

Just curious. It tasted ok. Going to make the same batch again to see what I could have messed up.

Sounds like it went reasonably well. Don't stress too much about the lower FG reading. Sounds like the yeast did their job and had plenty of O2 to work with. Might taste a touch dryer than one that finished with higher FG and has a little more alcohol in it.
Cheers!

Brewing this today for the second time. First batch had a small aftertaste and I think I’ve figured out that I made a couple mistakes when sparging / lautering. Namely I didn’t let it rest for 10m at 167 deg F and also stirred the basket while draining to get better flow which I think probably got some tannins in it. It still came out reasonably well and cleared up nicely with beautiful color and we drink the whole batch.

Trying again today with a better eye towards mash temp and sparse temps and minimizing disturbing the grain while lautering / sparging. I’ll let you know how it ends up!!

Brewing this today for the second time. First batch had a small aftertaste and I think I’ve figured out that I made a couple mistakes when sparging / lautering. Namely I didn’t let it rest for 10m at 167 deg F and also stirred the basket while draining to get better flow which I think probably got some tannins in it. It still came out reasonably well and cleared up nicely with beautiful color and we drink the whole batch.

Trying again today with a better eye towards mash temp and sparse temps and minimizing disturbing the grain while lautering / sparging. I’ll let you know how it ends up!!
That's kind of an urban myth, well disproved by common BIAB brewing procedures. Tannin extraction is purely a function of temperature and pH (and pH buffering), not physical disturbances.

That's kind of an urban myth, well disproved by common BIAB brewing procedures. Tannin extraction is purely a function of temperature and pH (and pH buffering), not physical disturbances.

Yeah I’ve read that, wasn’t sure. However I think the biggest part of it was not letting it rest at 167°F for 10 minutes and probably rinsing the grains with too much water which may have raised the pH.
This time I only rinsed with about 5 quarts of water at 169° which I very carefully monitored. Then I used some pre-boiled water at about 190° to raise the wort volume to about 5.5 gallons. I’m just about to pitch the yeast right now.

Yeah I’ve read that, wasn’t sure. However I think the biggest part of it was not letting it rest at 167°F for 10 minutes and probably rinsing the grains with too much water which may have raised the pH.
This time I only rinsed with about 5 quarts of water at 169° which I very carefully monitored. Then I used some pre-boiled water at about 190° to raise the wort volume to about 5.5 gallons. I’m just about to pitch the yeast right now.
1/13/19 Update

Well after 2 weeks in the keg here are results.

Left: US05 fermented in carboy water bath basically no temp control.

Right: Nottingham fermented in temp controlled conical and I used gelatin and cold crashed for several days.

View attachment 607075

I love Nottingham in my Brown Ales and really like this yeast, however it really mutes and rounds out this recipe. The US05 is brighter, crisp and seems to have a dryer finish. Both of these beers finished at 1.010 and ended up 5.25%. I forgot my efficiency was better with lower gravity brews and forgot to adjust. I rarely brew anything under 6%.

I’m really not into lagers or light abv such as this beer, but I wanted something for a quick turn around. The US05 batch is by far so much better beer!

Cheers!!

Hi,

glad to hear the US05 worked well. It happens I have lots of that and I might use it just as you did. I have one perhaps trivial question. In the original recipe it says to use 1 package of Nottingham both for 5 an 10 gal. I want to go for a 10 gal batch. If I use US05, shouldn't I use 2 packages? I guess this is what you did by using one Nottingham and one US05 one per 5 gal batch, right?

Cheers

Correct be safe and pitch one pack per 5 gal batch.
Great!
Another question :) I have right now these malts: Pale Ale, Chrystal, Munich, Amber
I was planning to substitute Vienna with Munich, but do I need to buy the Dextrine? or can I swap it with any of those I have? From this (https://www.brew.is/files/malt.html) I see that dextrine, Carapils and Chrystal are rather similar, is it correct? IF so can I just increase the amount of crystal?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Angelo

Update: today is 8th day in fermenter. The Notty yeast tore through this batch in like 2 days. I took a hydro sample and it read 1.012 so I think it’s done. Had some floaters in too though. Noticed when it filtered into fermenter there was a lot of foam so. Wondering if these are proteins from that?

At any rate the sample tasted great and didn’t have the aftertaste I had in my last batch!!! I dry hopped with .5oz of cascade. I’ll let that gel for 3 days then I’ll bottle condition most but will fill my growler first and force carbonate it for a sampling next weekend.

Attachments

• 181E3352-FF54-47E2-BB99-9F46EBE201D3.jpeg
    181E3352-FF54-47E2-BB99-9F46EBE201D3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Well I finally got around to brewing this. It turned out well and had a pretty mild and balanced taste. Some friends tried it and their first comments were "It's not bitter, I like it!" I will have to keep this around for an easy drinker. The picture shows the bubbles streaming up and it had lasting foam on top and good lacing down the glass.
20190211_183151_Resized.jpg

How do you guys think doubling this would turn out? Imperial blonde ale?
Anyone already done it?

I think that is a GREAT idea! I have made this recipe around 6 times now and feel like I have it dialed in with my equipment and my tastebuds. Ready for a new challange and am really optimistic that it should be easy to make an Imperial Blonde. It will take me a while before I can get after it... for sure this spring or early summer I think ( ; I've had a high ABV Blonde before... think it was from pFriem... but I do remember it tasting awesome!

I have been meaning to brew this one for months now, had the ingredients at home for ages, finally got around to brew it today. Also, this was my first ever fully solo brewday. Went really smoothly, hit all the numbers. Except I still messed up the recipe a bit, even after preparing for this for quite some time. Swapped the amount of Vienna and CaraPils. Not a big deal I guess. Used WLP090, curious to see how it turns out!

I made 11gal of this Blonde today. Fermenting with Wyeast 1098 British Ale this time, this will be the third yeast I've tried with this recipe ( ;

Following up on my experience using this yeast. It worked very well! I became curious when reading about others who were trying Imperial's House yeast and reporting good success and was excited to find out it crosses over to Wyeast 1098. I use that strain to make an IPA and always have plenty on hand. So a batch with 1098 seemed like a no brainer. I was pleasantly surprised how well this recipe improved with Wyeast 1098, definetly my best attempt to date. Sadly though, 11 gal went to quickly ) :

I'm getting ready to brew this a second time and I don't have any Nottingham yeast on hand, but I have US-05, S-04, and W- 34/70 on hand. Any suggestions, or should I head out to the (not so local) LHBS for some Notty?

I'm getting ready to brew this a second time and I don't have any Nottingham yeast on hand, but I have US-05, S-04, and W- 34/70 on hand. Any suggestions, or should I head out to the (not so local) LHBS for some Notty?

Us-05 will work great as will either of the others. You will notice a minor flavor difference between them but us-05 should get you closest to original.

Has anyone tried this with Falconers Flight 7 C's?

How did it turn out? Is it still mellow enough for BMC drinkers?
Going to make this for a gathering next month, I have 2oz of 7C's on hand.

I also have an oz of Ahtanum and an oz of Amarillo.

I might even do a double batch and try the 7c's in one and the A hops in the other.

I have no experiance with any of these hops but I have em on hand and was thinking of trying them out.

I know it won't be a real Centennial Blonde but thought it might be a good brew to use up the hops i have on hand and the 7c's blend might be " close ish "

thoughts?

Has anyone tried this with Falconers Flight 7 C's?

How did it turn out? Is it still mellow enough for BMC drinkers?
Going to make this for a gathering next month, I have 2oz of 7C's on hand.

I also have an oz of Ahtanum and an oz of Amarillo.

I might even do a double batch and try the 7c's in one and the A hops in the other.

I have no experiance with any of these hops but I have em on hand and was thinking of trying them out.

I know it won't be a real Centennial Blonde but thought it might be a good brew to use up the hops i have on hand and the 7c's blend might be " close ish "

thoughts?
Hi. I can't speak to Falconer's Flight, but I can tell you that I've made two or three version of this beer finishing with Ahtanum, and it makes a truly remarkable, easy drinking beer. Ahtanum is a very mild hop with a floral nose and a slight citrusy taste. It also has a very low AA% (~3.5%,) so don't use it to bitter as it takes a lot. I usually substitute Ahtanum in the last addition (0.5 oz @ 5 minutes.) If you did a credible job brewing the beer whether with BM's original recipe or with Ahtanum, I can pretty much guarantee the BMC drinkers will be more than happy to drink it. It's one of my daughter's favorite beers. Hope this helps. Ed

Hi. I can't speak to Falconer's Flight, but I can tell you that I've made two or three version of this beer finishing with Ahtanum, and it makes a truly remarkable, easy drinking beer. Ahtanum is a very mild hop with a floral nose and a slight citrusy taste. It also has a very low AA% (~3.5%,) so don't use it to bitter as it takes a lot. I usually substitute Ahtanum in the last addition (0.5 oz @ 5 minutes.) If you did a credible job brewing the beer whether with BM's original recipe or with Ahtanum, I can pretty much guarantee the BMC drinkers will be more than happy to drink it. It's one of my daughter's favorite beers. Hope this helps. Ed

Thanks RedlegEd i'll for sure take that advise and run one of the batches with the Ahtanum at the end.

I just might still try a 7c's or partial 7c's just for kicks to see how it turns out

cheers!

Hey all I was planning on brewing 11 gallons of this weekend. I’m planning on doing 5-5.5 gallons the centennial blonde recipe and 5-5.5 with same recipe but with Vintner's Harvest Boysenberry purée. Will 1 can of this purée work for 5-5.5 gallons of this. After some research I found they say to factor about 1 to 2 pounds of puree to 1 gallon of finished beer. So a can is 49oz (3 lbs). Should I get a second can or just the one will do? I understand flavor is subjective but just wanted to hear other more experienced opinions. Thank you for your help!

Hey all I was planning on brewing 11 gallons of this weekend. I’m planning on doing 5-5.5 gallons the centennial blonde recipe and 5-5.5 with same recipe but with Vintner's Harvest Boysenberry purée. Will 1 can of this purée work for 5-5.5 gallons of this. After some research I found they say to factor about 1 to 2 pounds of puree to 1 gallon of finished beer. So a can is 49oz (3 lbs). Should I get a second can or just the one will do? I understand flavor is subjective but just wanted to hear other more experienced opinions. Thank you for your help!
Hi Hiphop! First, let me tell you right up front that I'm going to speak heresy for the fruity beer purists out there. I've brewed with purées before, as well as real fruit, real vanilla, etc. What I've found is the results are not as good, or as predictable, as using a flavor concentrate. There are several brands that produce really good flavors that you can add to your beer. When using real fruit or purées, you generally add them to a secondary. They typically have a lot of sugar, which restarts the fermentation process, and tends to dry out the beer. You might get some of the fruit flavor, but any sweetness gets fermented out and it may be really dry and/or sour. Using a flavor concentrate, however, you can finish your beer, then carefully add a measured amount to a known sample size until you hit the flavor profile you (or your significant other) really likes. Then you just scale up the dose to the amount of beer you want to flavor. Another benefit is you already know how the beer tastes before you doctor it up. If it's a crappy beer to start with, adding flavoring (or fruit/purée) just makes it a fruity, crappy beer. Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your brew. You've chosen a really good blank slate to start with as this beer is one of the best. Let me know if I can give you any more information. Ed

Hi Hiphop! First, let me tell you right up front that I'm going to speak heresy for the fruity beer purists out there. I've brewed with purées before, as well as real fruit, real vanilla, etc. What I've found is the results are not as good, or as predictable, as using a flavor concentrate. There are several brands that produce really good flavors that you can add to your beer. When using real fruit or purées, you generally add them to a secondary. They typically have a lot of sugar, which restarts the fermentation process, and tends to dry out the beer. You might get some of the fruit flavor, but any sweetness gets fermented out and it may be really dry and/or sour. Using a flavor concentrate, however, you can finish your beer, then carefully add a measured amount to a known sample size until you hit the flavor profile you (or your significant other) really likes. Then you just scale up the dose to the amount of beer you want to flavor. Another benefit is you already know how the beer tastes before you doctor it up. If it's a crappy beer to start with, adding flavoring (or fruit/purée) just makes it a fruity, crappy beer. Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your brew. You've chosen a really good blank slate to start with as this beer is one of the best. Let me know if I can give you any more information. Ed

Ed,

Your extremely detailed reply is incredibly helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Very interesting about the flavor profile after the addition of the fruit purée. I was prepared for the increase in ABV and second fermention after the addition of the fruit. Do you have any recommendations for brand of flavor concentrations? I have had one bad experience with a prepackaged kit with a lemon concentrate so I have stayed away from fruit beers which has been very hard and frustrating because they make some absolutely incredible beers!

Back