Carnie American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnieBrew

Reaction score
4.2lb Coopers Light LME
3.4lb Coopers Wheat LME

17.5oz of Crystal 60L (120 EBC), steeped for 30 minutes

2 gallon boil, 28oz of LME added at start of boil, rest added just before flameout

1oz Amarillo @ 60
.7oz Amarillo @ 20
1oz Amarillo @ flameout

Possibly a little too much Amarillo at flameout, but that's tasting after 10 days of bottle conditioning (bulk primed with raw sugar solution). At this stage i'd say to drop the 1 oz to 2/3rd oz...but that may change as it ages.

Beautiful thick creamy head that lasts the whole beer, heaps of aroma. Should come out around 5.2% abv.

If it were me, I'd have...

1. Dropped the C120 down to .5 lbs
2. Use only about .5 oz Amarillo at 60 minutes, .7 at 20, .5 at 10, .5 at 5, and .5 at 0

But that's just me ;)

CarnieBrew said:
Sorry, I keep quoting EBC numbers for crystal 'coz we use that down under. I should be using the 60L number on here instead.

All the same ;)

What's all the same?

According to BJCP this recipe is right on the upper limit of IBU's for an American Pale Ale, but I believe it came out a lot more like an IPA on drinking due to the 30 gram flameout addition.

Yes, but with over a pound of crystal malt, it's probably more like an American amber or maybe like a sweet APA. But the wheat malt extract makes it "none of the above".

CarnieBrew said:
What's all the same?

According to BJCP this recipe is right on the upper limit of IBU's for an American Pale Ale, but I believe it came out a lot more like an IPA on drinking due to the 30 gram flameout addition.

I would lower any Crystal malt you chose down to .5 oz

I would have thought so too, but trust me, after tasting mine, I went out to my local liquor store and bought 5 craft IPA's (that's probably redundant, i'm sure there's no megaswill IPA's). While mine is nowhere near as bitter as a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra, is has more hop flavour and aroma than a Vale IPA.

And who says you can't use wheat malt in an IPA, American Amber or Pale Ale? That's very old-school thinking...this is craft brewing, you can use whatever you bloody want! There are plenty of people out there using wheat to balance out their ale's, it's not just for weizen beers. Don't forget wheat extract (the one I use anyway, Briess CBW Bavarian) is already a blend of wheat and barley, in my case 65/35. So mixing it into a PA or IPA 50/50 with barley malt means it's a maximum of 17.5%...then I use specialty grains which reduces that a little more.

Regardless, all home brew recipes are simply a base for people to develop on. This recipe of mine was meant to be a Dr Smurto Golden Ale, but I messed with the hop amounts and additions and am rapt with the result. So I figured i'd share. I appreciate your debate.

Congrats on your batch, Carnie! I love a nice hoppy wheat ale.

I've moved this thread from the recipe database, which is for tried-and-true recipes (recipes that you've made more than once and consider to be a 'go to' recipe), to the Recipes/Ingredients forum. After you've tweeked it and rebrewed it, feel free to add it to the database. Cheers! :mug:

Back