Potasium Metabisulfite vs. Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wells11

Reaction score
I have been using Potasium Metabisuflite for all my sanitizing needs equipment and bottling. I recently used it three days straight and felt like the stuff was going to kill me. I talked to another brewer and he uses starsan. Is this good for all my needs as well?

Starsan rocks. It make up 5 gallons with distilled water ant it lasts me forever. Not a single infection in 3+ years and close to 100 brews. I spray it on EVEYTHING!

stevedasleeve said:
Starsan rocks. It make up 5 gallons with distilled water ant it lasts me forever. Not a single infection in 3+ years and close to 100 brews. I spray it on EVEYTHING!

I am thinking about switching to star San. Do you just spray on equipment and then let it dry? No rinse, right? Also, if you make 5 gallons at a time how do you store it?

I pour some in my carboys/kegs and swirl it around the pour it back into a 5 gallon plastic carboy I store it in. I use a spray bottle for sanitizing keg bits, thermometers & the like. I got a 32 oz container oh maybe 2 years ago and still have 1/4 left. I mix it with distilled water. So long as it stays clear it is good.

Latest posts

Back