Pale Ale/Bitter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry22

Reaction score
I am planning a BIAB 2-2.5 gallon brew with my brothers using ingredients we already have.

I have
.25 East Kent Goldings
.25-.5oz fuggles (dont remember how much)
.25 oz saaz
1 oz northern brewer
1 oz willamete
caramal 40 and 60
rye

US-05 and danstar wheat yeast

I want to make a pale ale or english bitter, maybe even a wheat IPA like Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin ale.

I dont mind buying hops but would prefer to use what I have. I will obviously need to buy grain.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Not a lot of APA hops there, but an english bitter is definitely in the making. I'd go with a half pound of the C60, with as much Maris Otter/English Pale Ale Malt as you need to get up to 1.036 or so. If you're buying grain, grab 4oz of Special Roast (not Special B or roasted barley)- I really like that sourdough flavor in my bitters. If you don't you could swap out for just as much aromatic malt for a nice malt aroma, or just do MO and C60.

As for hops, EKG, fuggles and willamette would be my late additions (half ounce of any or all of them at 20m and 10m, or 20m and flameout), and bitter with whatever you need for your IBUs (NB would be my choice of the ones you have there).

I actually just brewered a bitter last weekend, and can't WAIT to taste it. I saved the recipe at:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1328259/standard-ordinary-bitter-recipes/terry-an-ordinary-bitter

Note my efficiency is set at 80% because that's a conservative estimate of what I get on my equipment, and I boil 7 gallons down to 6 to get 5.5 after trub loss to make sure I have a full keg.

Without a british yeast, it will be more of an "american bitter" but I've had them like that and they're tasty but finish a little too dry, IMO. If you can swing it, grab a pack of S-04, a proper english yeast, and enjoy it that much more. I make it a point to always have a packet of S-04 and US-05 in the house at all times. The yeast will really make this beer.

Thanks man. I think do NB to bitter and East kent for aroma. I'll pick up some S-04 too. So if I don't use special roast for aromatic what else would I use?

You wouldn't necessarily need to replace it with anything. You could maybe do the same amount of biscuit or victory for some toastiness, but it'd be great without.

Back