Seeking opinions: adequate for CO2 distribution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about switching from a mini fridge kegerator to something larger so I can chill and carb my on-deck kegs. While looking for deals on parts, I found this "aquarium" air/CO2 distributor on ebay.

Setting aside the normal slam on parts made/sold in Hong Kong, and assuming I am not trying to control different pressures on different kegs, is there any reason this wouldn't work for beer CO2 purposes?

Aquarium Stainless Steel Air CO2 3 Ways Switch Valve | eBay

Pretty amazing deal, compared to beer-specific options...

It looks like this would work, but they don't specify pressures this thing works at. If it is for an aquarium, my only thoughts would be that this might be designed for much lower pressure distribution than with beer (up to 30 psi'I sh). Being made of stainless steel, however, I would think that it is plenty sturdy though.

Another thing that this one might not have either is check valves instead of regular on/off valves. Occasionally you might plug in a keg with a higher pressure internally than the other stuff, or you might accidentally plug in a keg backwards. Beer or higher pressure co2 would potentially be able to travel past the valve, into other tubes and kegs.

It looks like a screaming deal though as long as the shipping is reasonable.

Other than the lack of check valves it will work. Although I would recommend them. I don't have them and have at least twice had beer back up through my regulator.

Hmmm... thanks for the replies guys. I'm now wondering how small the barbs are. This photo from another listing makes me think the diameter is quite small. Not sure how much that would effect functionality, and/or how to achieve a step down from standard regulator barbs.

Air pump tubing switcher hub valve Regulator 1 to 3 Kit | eBay

Edit: seems standard aquarium air line is 3/16, so maybe it would work just fine...

sensibull I was wondering if you ever bought this Co2 distributer and how well did it work for you? I am contemplating using one for my keg fridge but not at the risk of it being junk. I'm cheap but not that cheap. I know its an old thread but hope you could help out.

Back