new/rare beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a place that I can find info/recipes on rare types of beer, beer styles or interesting twists on classic styles. I want to make some stuff people have probably not had before.

Like the other day, i had an oyster stout and i thought it was amazing, I wish i thought to make that beer (i know its a very old method, but now somethign you commonly find in the store).

Anything like a list online with a short descriptions would be great. going to have some Flanders red tonight, maybe that and some lambic will be interesting to try to make too. Any other ideas?

Oud bruin, geuze, faro, schwarzbier, weizenbock, eisbock, rauchbier

All styles that are not commonly available (for the most part) in the consumer market

I would suggest the book "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. You can find there many extreme styles and recipes, such as "Chocolate Mint Stout", "Gottlandsdricka" (Viking Beer), Sahti and others.

Google "BJCP styles"
Best description of styles. Often after a hybrid or new style appears you will see it land here eventually.

Wheatwine....

Yeah, not widely brewed...but I was fortunate to find a really good one...check out Terrapin Gamma Ray if you get the chance...

Also, +1 to Scooby Brew's recommendation (Radical Brewing)...great book! To a lesser extent, Sam Calagione's book Extreme Brewing...the recipes are all extract, and I've heard through some discussions on other boards that a few of the recipes are a little off from what is actually done in the brewery....still a good book, but if you were to get only one, I'd get Radical...

Wheatwine sounds like a cool one. I am partial to the old style gruit ales which people don't brew that often because herbs aren't always readily available. Beers that use roots, leaves, seeds, or berries are fun to make because they come out with some surprising results. What's even cooler, is that you can grow some of the herbs in your own garden and harvest them. The book Homebrewer's Garden has a list of many of these plants, how to grow them, and how to use them. You can find the same information online, but I like having books around.

Black IPA's (Cascadian Dark Ales) are pretty new I think, not so rare but a recent style.

just had bear republic's black ipa the other day at the brewery... very good, just a little too much chocolate malt imo. tasted like the overly hopped porter i used to make.

i want to make a sour stout and i did see a belgian stout in the store yesterday. never seen that before...

You can also check out germanbeerinstitute.com,they have a style list with pics & descriptions that's interesting. Some have been mentioned. But there are many more,like dampfbier. A sort of poor man's hefe. Really off beat,& rare.

Back