Jamil's American Pale Ale (Victory Malt version) - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried The APA from Brewing Classic Styles that only uses Victory malt as a specialty grain?

What did you think?

I have this one fermenting now and I am wondering what to expect.

Recipe
(note: Had to mash the Munich and Victory with a little 2-Row because LHBS couldn't get Munich LME in time)
(another note: tastybrew doesn't account at all for hops utilization in a partial boil. This is actually closer to 40 ibu Rager)

I just put this one in the carboy 2 days ago, but I did the all-grain version of it. I hit all of the gravity numbers perfectly as stated in the book so I am hoping it turns out well.

Drinking a 3-week FG sample right now and it is freaking fantastic. Great toast malt- citrus-y hop balance and very, very smooth-drinking. Can't wait to finish dry hopping this puppy and bottling.

joetothemo said:
Drinking a 3-week FG sample right now and it is freaking fantastic. Great toast malt- citrus-y hop balance and very, very smooth-drinking. Can't wait to finish dry hopping this puppy and bottling.

I agree! I just popped open the first bottle tonight and I believe this is my best beer yet! Very nice balance and very smooth. I will definitely be brewing this one again.

I made the all-grain version twice. I'd put it next to Edwort's Bee Cave pale ale as my favorite pale ale to brew. It has the advantage of not needing a mash, so if I were to choose an American extract recipe to brew, this would be it. It's dry, crisp, but with more complex malt flavors.

I was invited to do a guest brew at a brewpub and made my version of this beer. Basically changed the OG to 1044 and IBUs to 30 and mashed higher. I also dry-hopped with Amarillo. Turned out fantastic as always.

Latest posts

Back