Sausagefest 2011!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL... the pancetta looking a little lonely..

I gotta get those Bresaolas in there!!!

DSC_0800.jpg

I was telling PTN and the other two guys last night... my SWMBO found a recipe for duck fat deep fried french fries with home made mozz cheese (she makes home made cheese) and gravy.

uhhh... now I need some privacy

OK, That sounds like Poutine!!

Cape Brewing said:
I was telling PTN and the other two guys last night... my SWMBO found a recipe for duck fat deep fried french fries with home made mozz cheese (she makes home made cheese) and gravy.

uhhh... now I need some privacy

This is such an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing your meat with a bunch of strangers! Apparently I need to try something cooked with Duck Fat!

Cape, my jealousy is causing me to hate you...or at least dislike you a wee bit

Nice photos of your meat

You bastard! I need to go find a change of pants now.

What are you using for the humidifier?

What type of stuffer are you using? I would like to get into making sausuage in the near future but only have the attachment to the Kitchen Aid, I have heard that does not work very well.

Those pictures just may be enough to motivate me!!!!!

Da real deal. Talking about sausage is fine but let's face it, it's all about what goes on the plate.

Here are three 'Schweet Italians' and two 'Garlic and Red Wine' sausages, almost finished as tonight's dinner, along with some candied carrots, all served up with some Basmati rice.

1297390791.jpg

I'm a happy lad.

PTN

Well???? How the hell were they???

As pathetic as it sounds, the SWMBO had made a freakin TURKEY before I knew what was going on for dinner tonight. I'm sitting there going, I GOT A MOUNTAIN OF SAUSAGE IN THE WALK-IN AND YOU MADE TURKEY!!?!?

Bahhhhhhh... freakin SWMBOs... Can't live with 'em, can't have 'em taken' out by Mexican drug lords.

To questions:

Stuffer is a Lem 5 lb canister stuffer (google is your friend)
Humidifier.. I dunno.. nothing special. It is a "anti-bacterial" auto shut off humidifier I got at Lowes for like $50. It's nice cause you can set the humidity level and walk away. It'll shut off when it hits it. It won't turn back ON... which kinda sucks... but that freakin' cure room has held it between 67 and 70 percent for a few days now. That thing is money. Every week or two, I'll give the humidifier a work over with some starsan

Well???? How the hell were they???

F'ing wonderful. You may not be good for much else, Son, but you found the map that lead us all to the hidden door at the base of the Sausage Mountain, and Smaug will never be the same again.
After dinner I went and hopped in the hot tub for a while and pretty much reached a state of nirvana. It's 12 degrees outside, the hot tub is set at 108. I sat in the hot water and contemplated Arcturus, Betelgeuse, Sirius, the Pleadies, Aldebaran, and a waxing moon above me in the heavens. The jets from the hot tub, wafting across my butt hair, like an onshore current across a field of bull kelp on a lee shore, made me glad to be alive.

I've found that you generally have to pay a boatload of money to have these sorts of visceral feelings. Getting to experience them with you, my friend and surrogate son, never mind that there wasn't a Brazilian hooker within earshot, made it all the more special.

PTN

I might make crappy beer but I've got tremendous meat.

You are just mad cause she got a little warmed up from the descriptions of my butt hair wafting back and forth in the tidal currents of my hot tub.

PTN

Well. I went from sort of turned on from talking about sausagefest to being ever slightly revolted. Just that quick. Probably very much like your wives.

You guys are pretty hot. Your cooking, brewing, wine knowledge, and professionalism is pretty hot. Then you speak. And we hear talk of your meat and butt hair.

Thanks for keeping it real for me.

Well. I went from sort of turned on from talking about sausagefest to being ever slightly revolted. Just that quick. Probably very much like your wives.

You guys are pretty hot. Your cooking, brewing, wine knowledge, and professionalism is pretty hot. Then you speak. And we hear talk of your meat and butt hair.

Thanks for keeping it real for me.

Cape and PTN just got pwned! :D

Not for nuttin' but Cape don't know bupkiss about vino. It was honestly embarrassing when a recipe called for a few cups of wine last night.

"Here, use this."
"Uhhhh, Brian, that's a $400 dollar bottle of wine."
"Really? Well then only use one cup instead of two."
"Uhh Brain, you can't really keep this stuff around forever. It will go bad after you open it."
"F-it. Wine is for wankers. You're a wanker. Go ahead and finish it."
"OK"

PTN

Not for nuttin' but Cape don't know bupkiss about vino. It was honestly embarrassing when a recipe called for a few cups of wine last night.

"Here, use this."
"Uhhhh, Brian, that's a $400 dollar bottle of wine."
"Really? Well then only use one cup instead of two."
"Uhh Brain, you can't really keep this stuff around forever. It will go bad after you open it."
"F-it. Wine is for wankers. You're a wanker. Go ahead and finish it."
"OK"

PTN

Now, I know Cape isn't the brightest bulb in the GE factory. But I don't believe he let you polish off a $400 dollar bottle of wine that he planned on cooking with.

I would have at least frenched him for it, and I'm sure you did too.

Whoa whoa. Time right the $&@( out here.

Just for the record... I had been planning this night for a month or so. Paul heard about it the NIGHT BEFORE and invited himself. He showed up with two Boston Butts and a couple packets of pre-mixed seasoning packets which I should have slapped him for.

.... and now this thread is all about "we" and "you guys"???

Ever see that episode of Seinfeld with "the sidler"? The guy that would always quietly sneak up next to Elaine?

Paul is a meat sidler.

65 effin lbs of seven different kinds of sausage and cured meats and I ran out of one spice.

Blow me

Hey, thats fine. I cant wait to brew OUR U3. As a matter of fact, let me head over to that thread now. I have a laundry list of comments, suggestions and witty banter to contribute.

I picked up an electric smoker at Bass Pro on Saturday. Big enough to do a brisket and a few racks of ribs but small enough that it's quick and simple to just do a few small items. Like the Jagerwurst I cold smoked for a couple of hours at 125*F yesterday and the couple of duck sausages I cooked up for dinner last night. SWMBO is all excited now to make some Gouda and cold smoke that.

PTN

Didn't try it. By the time I did a dry run with the smoker to burn off any manufacturing oils, etc and then smoked the two different kinds it was well after dinner and I was stuffed. I did cook up and eat two of the duck and they were great, but the rest I just let cool off then packaged them up. The duck was delicious.

PTN

I put the cure on those two pork bellies on Sunday and vacuum sealed them. They have each put out a lot of juices. How long can I leave them in the cure? I can feel the textural difference but it seems like a few days longer wont' hurt. Then I can let them sit for a day and smoke them after that, right?

PTN

Paul... You wanna keep those bellies in the cure for a week. If you poke at them after a week and they are soft in any spots, give them another day or two.

Back