AG: Propane users - how many 5g batches per tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
Assuming the standard tank size - how many batches do yall see per tank. I think I am at about 4.5 batches per tank.

I've seen this topic before, and alot of the guys will say "it varies." for what it's worth...i have only done 6 all grain batches, and I refill my 5 gallon tank after each batch, and the most they ever put in it is 2.5 gallons. I use my turkey frier to heat 2 batches of water, then a rolling boil for 60 minutes. Also depends on what type of burner you have, they all use a little different amount of fuel.

I've seen a big difference since I get my tanks refilled instead of exchanging them. The refilled ones get refilled completely and the exchanged ones are not all the way filled. I use two tanks, one for my water and one for the boil.

I think I'm usually at 3 - 4 per tank. Although if it is cold out I leave it running for some eat.

Five batches is reasonable, although obviously YMMV depending on variables. I'll get 5 (4 pounds or so per session), but I do my preheat water indoors on the cooktop, and then reheat that water the same way for sparge.....so I may not be doing quite as much heating on the outdoor propane burner as some folks.

I get 2.5-3 15 Gal. batches on my turkey fryer burner. Heat Mash water, heat sparge water, boil. I have natural gas nearby and I have been meaning to convert, but I have a couple other piping changes to make for unrelated reasons and it is a whole day or more of work, so I have been putting it off.

I second what the other guy said about getting the tanks refilled. The "full" ones from the store don't feel as full as when I take it to the station down the road to get filled manually.

It is like MPG on a car, only with far more variables.

I don't use my burner for anything other than boiling the wort. Some use theirs to heat their strike/sparge water too. I like to leave the burner on low/medium since otherwise the flames just come up the side of my pots. A lot of flame will boil faster and harder, but it also doesn't allow me to control the initial hot break foam, and I would get boilovers more often with the gas all the way up.

Weather is also a huge factor. If it is windy, you'll use more gas. If it is cold, you'll use more gas.

With all that being said, I have never run my tanks out while brewing, but I have filled up somewhere in the 2.5G range on a tank after 4 brews this season. I believe I could easily stretch 6 or 7 brews with a tank, even with spring/fall/winter brewing.

3 10 gallon batches. for 5 gallon i would expect no more than 5.

fill, don't exchange, and use electric for mash/sparge water and it will go even farther.

I got (4.5) 5gal all-grain batches done on one tank. I have two tanks incase one runs out during a brew day.

My setup is a turkey fryer setup.

I second what the other guy said about getting the tanks refilled. The "full" ones from the store don't feel as full as when I take it to the station down the road to get filled manually.

In my area, the "blue rhino" exchange tanks are only filled to 15lbs, while a refill gets me 20lbs-both $20

Back