Dos Equis Lager clone (Off Paper Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HackInBlack

Reaction score
Here is a clone recipe I fiddled with for my neighbors who love Dos Equis Lager (not the Amber stuff). Once it is done conditioning in the bottle, I plan on snapping a few pics and putting the whole thing in the HBT recipe database. At this point, the taste is almost spot-on and the color is only slightly less reddish than Dos Equis.

Recipe: Off Paper Lager (Dos Equis Lager clone)
Brewer: Dechert
Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (40.0) As this is a clone beer, fermenting the SafLager S-23 at slightly elevated temperatures gives the lager the apple/fruity flavor that is present in Dos Equis Lager.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.2 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.25 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 75.76 %
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 12.12 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.12 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (50 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #SYeast-Lager

Notes:
------
Steep flaked corn and pale malt for 45 minutes at 155 degrees.

Ferment at 60 degrees for 7 days, then step down to 54 degrees and hold for 4 days.

Rack to secondary and step down from 54 to 38 degrees over 5 days. Lager at 38 degrees for 52 days+.

cool update us. I'm interested in brewing this or pilsner urquell. Just dont have laggering fridge bummer...

I've pulled one out of the bottle (at 14 days) and it carbonated well. HOWEVER, the head is somewhat thin and doesn't last too long. I'd probably use some heading powder or something next time. Also, I'd probably tweak the grain bill as the mouthfeel is a tad on the watery side. Flavor-wise, it's pretty close to Dos Equis Lager (this is according to my neighbor, as I don't really like Dos Equis and can't drink too much before I graduate to an IPA or something). The hops/malt ratio is perfect - very balanced. Overall, if you like this kind of beer, it's not too bad. I'm going to let it condition a couple more weeks then see if it's any better. I'll update then.

After 40 days conditioning, the head gained some volume but not a lot. It's still pretty thin and there's not much lacing. The taste is pretty close, though. My neighbor's happy with it, so it must be OK. I think I'll stick with the IPAs and Belgians, though.

Back