White wheat protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I am going to follow this recipe.

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)

1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual

Do I need to do a rest or no?
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

As far as I know, a protein rest for highly modified wheat malt isn't necessary. If you were to use unmalted wheat berries, that's a different story. I've brewed countless wheat beers using malted wheat and a single infusion mash with excellent results.

I also fly sparge, and never use rice hulls, again - with no problems. Some might tell you otherwise, so there's something else to consider.

Hope it turns out well,
TB

There is absolutely no reason for you to do a rest with malted wheat. I've done an infusion mashed with over %50 wheat with no rice hulls and had great results. Love me a wheat beer.

There is absolutely no reason for you to do a rest with malted wheat. I've done an infusion mashed with over %50 wheat with no rice hulls and had great results. Love me a wheat beer.

I wouldn't go quite this far as this. One certainly does not need to do a protein rest, but that doesn't mean that some might find an advantage to doing one.

As a blanket statement, this means the every maker of wheat malt has the system down to perfection and every batch of wheat malt has exactly the perfect level of conversion for ALL styles of wheat beer. Frankly I don't think this is realistic.

Many of us like to experiment and like to tweak with procedures to try to maximize various traits we can get from malt. To me that is one of the more fun aspects of brewing. I can use a bunch of different mash schedules and create different beers from the same grain bill.

Thanks guys! I will mash as normal. I batch sparge and I have never used rice husks before do I need them/ want to get some?

Thanks guys! I will mash as normal. I batch sparge and I have never used rice husks before do I need them/ want to get some?

I used about half a pound for this same recipe, and didn't have a problem, so it may be a good idea...

Back