can it be done (aging question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I was in my local HBC browsing around and I saw a product on the shelf.
it said age wine in just hours.
I didn't get the name of it but from what I could tell it was a big magnetic base that you sat your bottle on and some sort of metal cup goes on the top of your bottle.
my first thought was some bs product but it is being sold at mt HBC so maybe magnetic field does have some affect
has anyone ever tried one of these things and has anyone tried one on mead

I've never tried one, but I am highly skeptical. I'll be interested to hear your impressions if you try it.

so I'm not crazy, I saw right
well I'm not to sure about it either so I'll wait to hear if anyone has ever had success with one.

A quick google turns up this description from the website of a manufacturer of said devices :

The earth’s magnetic field helps create the great taste of fresh fruits. During the long growing season, fruit is held in a relatively constant position in relation to the earth’s magnetic field, aligning the liquid particles much like tiny compass needles. This natural balance gives fresh picked fruit its smooth, natural flavor.

The delicate magnetic alignment of the liquid particles is destroyed during the crushing, straining, pasteurizing, fermenting and distilling used to manufacture beverages, and much of the smooth natural taste is lost. The traditional slow aging process of wine and distilled spirits allows the particles to once again become aligned by the earth’s magnetic field, but this process takes years, and dramatically increases the cost of the finished product.

So, remember there’s a natural give and take, but that Vintage Express can fool Mother Nature and realign balance in moments, not years.

So according to their theory, If I pick two grapes side by side off the same vine, then shake one of the grapes like crazy, the shaken grape should taste like crap, because the particles aren't aligned anymore?

Now I aint no scientist, but i'm pretty sure that wine aging has to do with chemical reactions and not whether their taste particles are properly aligned along a north south magnetic line.

Pure snake oil, I wonder if the company is owned by one of the members of insane clown posse...

This sounds like the little mesh pyramids that they use to sell the were suppose to keep food fresh for weeks, even if they were suppose to be refrigerated. Something about how the pyramids were designed that protected them from degeneration. Pure codswallops in my book.

so from what the article says you should be able to use any magnets.
just don't flip them over I would think if you get the polarity reversed good aged wine would suddenly get a younger and undrinkable

Any 'aligning' of the polarity of your molecules in an aqueous solution (i.e. mead) would be quickly undone when you go to pour it. So if you have a magic way of getting the polarized mead onto your taste buds without disrupting their alignment, then go for it, otherwise this product is likely a large waste of money.

Back