American IPA Haphazard IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 (Dry Hop)
Tasting Notes
Ton of flavor without too much bitterness
(I think the OG/FG numbers are right, not entirely sure)

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 57.1 %
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 42.9 %

0.50 oz Saaz [3.90%] (60 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50%] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (60 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.90%] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (30 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.90%] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [11.50%] (30 min) Hops 3.9 IBU

0.50 oz Chinook [11.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.90%] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.90%] (10 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

0.50 oz Chinook [11.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.90%] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (0 min) Hops
0.25 oz Chinook [11.50%] (0 min) Hops

1.00 oz Nugget [13.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Yeast-Ale

I do... just dump them both in at the beginning of the boil and you're off!

If i were more concerned with color i may add the amber later. overall it looks and tastes great the way it is, slightly more amber-ish than some IPAs.

I do... just dump them both in at the beginning of the boil and you're off!

If i were more concerned with color i may add the amber later. overall it looks and tastes great the way it is, slightly more amber-ish than some IPAs.

good looks I just ordered some of the hops so I am waiting on them to arrive and then I am brewing this. I've been lookin for an IPA recipe that has great hop taste but isn't too bitter. This sounds good, I'll let you know how it turns out. THanks for the recipe.

One more quick question. Say it the 60 minute mark are you adding all of those hops at one time? Or are you adding Sazz followed by the Chinook, followed by Amarillo, etc. etc.??

if they're grouped together just dump them all in.

generally while i'm waiting for the water to boil i get out several bowls and separate out the hops. i.e. put all of the 60min hops in one bowl, 30min in another and put a little sticky note on them. that way if i'm too distracted (or intoxicated) i don't have to think a whole lot.

let me know if you have any other questions!

finnally brewed this yesterday. Pretty flawless brew day other than my OG was 1.060. Although I don't have the best hydrometer testing tube to use, so my OG could be off by a little. Currently fermenting between 67-73. So far no airlock activity, but it has been less than 24 hours. I'm excited for this to finish! Got an Irish red finishing up first though! Thanks again for the recipe!

Have u ever done any ipas using non extract recipes i have been having trouble getting the right flavor and colors from steeping my grains im about to switch to all extract my self let me know if u have any tips thanks

irisndfan2, thanks for the props! i love this beer, perfect balance of bitterness and flavor. enjoy!

itsagoodipa, i have done this as a partial mash once. it turned out awesome. i don't remember exactly what i replaced the amber malt with, but it was good. if i can find my notes at home i'll post 'em.

sweet thanks my next ipa im gonna go all extract maybe alil steeping but my color is been off my last two batches any tips let me know

Just had a bottle brewed with rustybrew 2 Weeks out of conditioning and it's tasting pretty good. Has a lot of aroma and flavor withought too strong of a bitter bite :mug:.

Hey Rusty, would this IPA benefit from some Irish Moss in the boil to clear up? Or would it be a waste? I am guessing its kinda reddish, based on the recipe.

I'm going to do this recipe soon, but will research different hops for it...good question about the Irish Moss. I was thinking about doing the same. Irish moss or no irish moss for this IPA??

I know this is an old thread... But why would a late addition of the amber affect the color? Would it make it lighter or darker?

It's possible to get browning from the Maillard reaction if you put the extract in at the start. You mitigate this by adding it late in the boil.

Latest posts

Back