Bottling Brett Beer with Wine Yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
and was hoping to use a packet of dry wine yeast for carbing it up. Anyone know if there is an analaguous US-05 like dry yeast for wine? i.e. a wonder yeast for wine? Anyone else ever bottle a Brett or sour beer with wine or Champagne yeast? Thoughts?

Thanks! And yes, I did post a related question in the Lambic section but it is kinda dead there and I have not gotten any replies.

Why not carbonate with the brett? Thats an honest question. I have an all brett beer formulating in the back of my mind, and I had not really considered bottle conditioning.

well you certainly could do that. But that would be a much, much slower process. Brett seems to work on its own time...

I thought when you used all brett, the beers finished on a schedule similar to using normal yeast? If I understand correctly from reading Wild Brews and some posts here, all Brett beers finish fairly quickly compared to some others using the blends which take 1 - 2 years to sour. Again, this is based on reading, not experience.

There isn't a specific strain I use, all the ones I've tried seem to do a fine job. Most recently I pitched some premier cuvee (champagne yeast) into a high gravity sour beer that failed to carbonate after 5 months in the bottle. I would suggest rehydrating the yeast first (all the alcohol/acid could make for some very unhappy yeast).

A 100% brett beer shouldn't need extra bottling yeast, but for most other funky beer it is a good insurance policy.

Back