Bottled 1st brew- temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first brew on Friday, following the directions in my kit to the letter. It said to put the priming sugar into 2 cups water, boil 5 minutes, add to bottling bucket, and syphon the beer into it so that it swirls and mixes. I did that just as the directions said. Hours later, I wondered if the sugar/water mix should have been cooled after boiling. I looked at this site, and sure enough, it should have been cooled.

My question is: Did I kill all the yeasties by using very hot water? Will it just take longer to carbonate or do I have flat beer permanently?

Thanks!
Lorena

2 cups of boiling water will raise the temperature of 5 gallons of ale by about 3-4F. Some of the yeast probably got killed before you mixed it in, but not many of them. I say RHAHB, but this is your first batch, so RHASB (store-bought).

Yow will have killed some of the yeasts, but as you have such a small volume of hot liquid compared to the volume of beer, most of the yeasts would survive.
I wouldn't recommend doing it again, but I think you will be OK.

-a.

On my first brew I did something similar...boiled the water, added corn sugar and only let cool for around 10 minutes. After I poured the sugar water into the bottling bucket and started siphoning, I wondered if it was still too hot (it was steaming a little). But all was well and the beer turned out great. I'd second the...relax, don't worry, have a brew (of whatever you happen to have)...you'll see.:)
Marc.

Oops, I did the same thing about a week and a half ago when I bottled my first batch. My directions didn't say anything about cooling so I just dumped it in. :p

Man, I have done so much stuff wrong with this first batch, I'm anticipating having to pour it down the drain.

Latest posts

Back