Disaster Strikes Brouwerij der Boerderij Kabouter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
So this weekend, my BIL came to pickup his 5g of American wheat that we brewed four weeks ago. It was in my kegerator and just starting to carb up. This beer was very promising and I am sure it will be great in two weeks time. So Paul takes his keg and I still have mine (I brew 10g batches).

On Sunday I go downstairs to draw a pint and see how the hop flavor is progressing.... then I find it.

My keg sprung a leak and leaked about 4.5 gallons of my beautiful beer into my keezer.... expletives followed. Well I made it almost 4 years in the hobby without a major catastrophe so I guess it was just my time. I am not really sure how to get over the dilemma and can't brew again until January.... :tear:

Then to make matters worse, my wife told me that no one was buying my the homebrew equipment I asked for for Christmas, and instead they would be getting me random stuff and clothes. It was a **** weekend for brewing...

Wow, that's the second keg disaster thread this week. I lost 4 gallons of bitter due to a leak in the top of the Beer Out QD once. Not fun.

sob.jpg

sob2.jpg

Sorry to hear and see that. I've had poppets start to leak, but I was able to connect a picnic line to it which secured the beer.

Time to dissemble the connection and replace the poppet.

Sorry about your loss!
Good damn thing you dont have a sanyo conversion Kegerator...you'd have 4.5 gallons of beer soaking into your living room carpet!

Agreed, I think this should be added to the pro side of the argument for freezer conversions!

First your beer leeks away, then, they tell you that you're not getting any brew gear from Santa?

Hmmm, it may be SABOTAGE! and... a CONSPIRACY!!

Sounds like a case for the crack HBT Investigative Squad! I'll be there directly.

Wait, 10 gallons less 5 for the BIL, less 4.5 spilled leaves half a gallon...

I don't think this is enough incentive... no, I mean evidence... not enough evidence for a proper investigation.

It was all probably just bad luck. What a bummer. Have a merry Christmas anyway.

I've never heard of these being used for keezers but they may be a cheap insurance option if you have the room in the bottom of your keezer:

LEAK-Frog

Since I don't have a keezer yet i'm unfamiliar if regular condensation pools in the bottom of the unit but if it doesn't this may work quite well.

EDIT: this one may work better since it has a remote probe: Water Alarm

Last edited by a moderator:
The water alarm idea is pretty clever but I think BM's got the right idea. I check on newly connected kegs like once an hour the first day after that calamity happened. I'm just glad it wasn't something I had cellaring for a year.

Latest posts

Back