Different drink- different buzz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have noticed over the years that drinking different kinds of beverages seems to produce a different quality buzz for me. For example, although I like the taste of many wines, I don't enjoy the way it makes me feel if I drink enough of it to get buzzed.

In recent years, due to digestive issues I have tended to stay away from commercial beer in favor of brandy and bourbon, but I always liked the buzz I would get from beer better than anything. A couple of years ago when I experienced my first homebrew buzz I discovered that I really liked it. (I have a personal "rule" that any brewing session must be accompanied by plenty of homebrew throughout the process. Sometimes when I was first starting out that entailed downing several bottles of my best homebrewing efforts!) I think that homebrew tends to produce a very pleasant buzz when consumed in fairly generous quantities.

Anyone else have favorites when it comes to catching the best buzz?

Alcohol makes me take my clothes off. :ban: :rockin:

Actually I don't seem to get to drunk from brews, Tequila I get pretty wild, wine isn't to bad but I can only handle whites I don't get along with tannins very well.

I find wine gives me a very light-hearted, cant stop smiling buzz. Beer on the other hand makes me cool and relaxed, and then most hard-a's just get me drunk. Eh?

Beer gives me a much more 'functional' drunk. I think it has to do with the total volume of liquid I'm consuming. I'm not a big guy and my stomach can only hold so much liquid at once. It's hard for me to get to the point of staggering drunk on beer.

I actually prefer the buzz I get from Grey Goose vodka. Good beer is a close second. However, since GG has a higher alcohol content by volume, I get drunk a lot easier. There's a lot more alcohol in 36 oz of GG and Red Bull than there is in 36 oz of beer, even strong beer. I could drink less of the GG but I think I'm just used to drinking that much liquid and I don't realize I'm asking for trouble.

I have to stay away from Tequila, otherwise you'll see me on the news later doing something completely stupid.

I certainly prefer a beer buzz, and a homebrew buzz is tops. I can get drunk on liquor, but I tend to not like the liquor buzz. Wine is a fun kind of a drunk, but I am just not into wine. I cant drink enough of it to get drunk.

Its funny to read how people think they are when they are drunk. It makes me think about that clip in "Beerfest" when the dude thinks he is picking up the hot chick and talking a mean game, when in fact he is slurring all over himself and she is a neither hot or slim.......................................................................priceless.

Reverend JC said:
Its funny to read how people think they are when they are drunk. It makes me think about that clip in "Beerfest" when the dude thinks he is picking up the hot chick and talking a mean game, when in fact he is slurring all over himself and she is a neither hot or slim.......................................................................priceless.

That's a great scene and I KNOW I've been there!

That being said, beer is my favorite alcohol buzz. I think part of it is that beer is heavier and has food-like qualities. I like wine 2nd, but it sometimes upsets my stomach.

I tend to stay away from harder stuff most of the time. I just don't like the buzz.

I think the euphoric buzz of homebrew is due to all the B vitamins, the live yeast, and the sedative effects of all the hops. Plus homebrew is a living food, which is always good. It really helps me get a good night's sleep1

I've noticed that often I get a different type of drunk with different types of drink. 1st & foremost is beer. Lovely, tasty, friendly & reasonably happy beerbuzz is the best IMHO. Beer makes me want to eat & laugh & joke & live life to the fullest without being too extreme. Beer is a party in a mug.

Wine, is interesting. I like wine, big fan of riesling, but there seems to be far more drama in wine than beer. Wine makes me want to explore philosophy & write poetry. Wine is a soap opera in a glass.

Liquor is fairly widely varied & might just be a sub-menu of types of buzzes. Whiskey just trashes me, but gin makes me wild. Rum is nice in small amounts, but cross that line & rum pisses me off. Hard liquor makes it easy to get into trouble & mixed drinks make it easy to drink hard liquor. Hard liquor could be a good time or a gangfight on the rocks.

Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Back