Stella Hops - Anyone else tried them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wileaway

Reaction score
Single-Hop Pale Ale - Stella Hops

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 7.0 (EBC): 13.8
Bitterness (IBU): 31.0 (Tinseth)

90% Pale Ale Malt
10% Honey Malt

0.2 oz/Gal Stella (14.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 oz/Gal Stella (14.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
Flameout addition steeped for 30 minutes prior to active cooling.

Single step Infusion at 148°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 66°F with WLP007 - Dry English Ale

5 Gallon batch

I've read little about this new hop variety so I wanted to share my tasting notes from this batch. Please share your experiences with this new Aussie hop.

This beer is now 2 weeks in the bottle, so still a bit green. The fermentation was clean and no off-flavors are apparent.

The aroma is similar to other beers I've made with NZ/Australian hops: a little peach or tangerine, not super strong. I can smell some of the honey malt in there too.

While the lack of bittering hops leaves this beer somewhat malty up front, the 3 ounces of high AA hops balances this beer pretty nicely in the middle and the earthier aspects of the hop come through in the dry finish. The tropical and stone-fruit flavors are present, but the finish is more herbal and peppery.

I will probably buy this hop again. I think its well-suited to a single-hop beer.

Who else has tried Stella hops, and what did you think?

I just picked up some because Northern Brewer was out of Galaxy. I knew I should have picked some up last time I was there but didn't and now they're gone...
Anyways, one of the workers recommended these so I'll give em a whirl. Pairing them with Cascade in my Galaxy Pale Ale recipe I've made a few times.

Bump.

I'm trying Stella in combination with Northern Brewer in a hoppy brown ale recipe tonight.

Any other thoughts on this hop from folks who've tried them lately?

I'm going to give this one a boil tomorrow with hops I got from Hopunion. Any suggestions on changes? Grains are milled and mixed.

Ozzy White IPA

85 IBU
1.065 OG
1.018 FG
6.1% ABV

6 lbs Superior Pilsen
5 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Torrified Wheat

1.0 oz Topaz 60 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 20 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 5 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 0 minutes

1.0 oz Ella dry hop
Fresh Orange peel zest dry hop

WLP400 Belgian Wit, 2L starter

I am not a fan. Left my cream ale sorta spicier than I wanted. I've been doing the same cream ale "house" beer recipe every other batch or so just tweaking ingredients to see how each batch is different. Also turned out more bitter than I wanted. That could be from an error in my calculations when brewing in IBUs or due to hop characteristics. Doubt I ever use them again.

Back