Yeast for Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintBenedict

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing 2.5 gallon batch of an imperial stout which, according to the recipe, should yield an ABV of around 10% (though, with my efficiency, I'd be happy with 8% or so).

The original recipe, adapted from a Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe, calls for Safbrew T-58. However, after reading more about some of the potential fruity esters often associated with this yeast, I am considering using Safale US-05. Does this sound appropriate?

Also, it was recommended by a LHB associate that I pitch two packets for the 2.5 gallons in order to ensure fermentation, especially since it will be stored at approximately 60-65 degrees. Does this sound excessive, or about right considering the potentialy low fermentation temperature? Wish I could move it out of the basement, but floor space upstairs is scarce.

Thanks for any and all help.

+1 on Notty
I am also considering a batch of Imperial Stout fermented in the basement around 62 F and I would use this yeast. I am not sure why you consider your basement to be a detriment, I consider 60-65 to be a sweet spot for most ales, but I have not tried to brew anything this big yet. I was going to pitch 2 packs of Notty for a 5 gallon batch. I also have never worried about all this yeast calculator stuff that people talk about on here, but maybe it is time to start with this type of beer. Good Luck. Maybe someone else can clear up the how much yeast to use question.

I pitched 2 packs of US-05 in my last RIS. It was an extract batch. OG roughly 1.080, FG 1.021. Fermented cleanly. Overall a great yeast for this style. 2 packs of dry yeast should provide PLENTY of cell count for anything shy of 1.090 or so.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I suppose my concern about basement temperature is that it seems to be on the lower side of ideal fermentation temps for many yeast varieties, at least as far as I can tell.

Getting the boil going now…and keeping my fingers crossed. :D

I used US-05 on a RIS last fall and it worked great. Frement temps were 64-66F. OG 1.099, FG 1.022. Tasted fantastic. Made a 1.5L starter 2 days before pitching.

Make a starter and you'll be fine.

Well, I decided to go with the US-05. I had already prepared the wort, so I pitched the yeast dry. The boil went well, even though I did end up with a lower OG than I had hoped (I clocked in around 1.062, while I was shooting for 1.074). Oh well, in the end it was still a good evening. Thanks for the input. I'm now treating myself to a Lost Abbey Deliverance. :D

Back