Fall Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a pale ale soon and I think I will do a nut brown as well which will be ready by early fall.

Just out of curiosity, what types of beer do you like for the fall season? What about winter? I'm just trying to plan ahead. :)

This year I brewed up a scotch ale with enough time for it to be ready in the fall, I'm about to keg an ESB that should last until mid-sept., and I'm doing an Oktoberfest and a Fat Tire Clone for later fall consumption. Then I'm making a Porter for Christmas and a Stout and Irish Red for St. Patty's day. I'll probably make a Pale Ale, a steam beer and an English Brown for regular consumption during that time period as well (man I can't wait for the weather to cool off so I can ramp production back up).

I have 2 kegs and I like to keep a dark beer and an amber or brown on hand at all times. I'm not as concerned about which style is right for the season other than my Christmas Porter and Irish Stout (mainly cuz I make them specifically for those occasions). Mostly I just make whatever I'm in the mood for.

I'm planning on starting a Winter Spice and an Oatmeal Stout soon, I also need to get going on a Pumpkin Ale I would like to try once...

I'm going to try Cheesefood's caramel cream ale to have it ready for Thanksgiving ....

I guess I'm just not a seasonal beer kind of person. I like my strong IPAs and Stouts any time of year. I guess Imperial Stouts maybe a little better in cold weather but thats about the extent of my seasonal taste. I was surprised when my LHBS talked about the brewing season. My basement is still in the 60s and good weather makes it easier to get outside to brew with my turkey fryer.
Craig

I'm planning EdWort's Apfelwein for around Halloween, and a nice Honey Ale for next month. I'm also planning to make "Santa's Dilema" on Sept 1, and bottle it about the middle of October and drink it around Christmas time.

I'm not much of a stout drinker, but I think I'd like to try one of the oatmeal stout recipes that I've seen in many of your signatures.

Other than that, I'm pretty much planning on doing more drinking than brewing for the next few months. Once it gets a little colder I'm going to try to brew lagers and pilseners again since my basement will be colder by then. I'd like to have 4 primarys and 4 secondarys going with Pilseners and Lagers by the middle of Janurary. I figure if I get a nice big bathtub to stash them in under the house I could keep them at lagering temps a couple of months and get them bottled or kegged by March. If I could get 40-60 gallons of good lager or pilsner done by April that could cover my summer drinking next year.

Daveyboy, can you tell me a little more about this Caramel cream ale? Sounds very good. Is it a kit? I am a noobie, and not ready for tough recipes yet.

Just got done with my newly named Patience Porter for Christmas Eve:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35622

Next on my list is a Pumpkin Ale to be ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving as well as some Apfelwein for the holiday season. Has anyone muled this before?

A Holiday Spiced beer would also be fun if I want something to brew over Thanksgiving break. We shall see. =D

I'm going to try a Vanilla Creme Stout for Christmas - plan on brewing it in the next couple of weeks. This year I made a stout on St. Patty's Day, I will definitely plan ahead to have one ready for 03/17 next year. As I've gotten more batches under (and over) my belt I have started giving more thought to the semantics such as seasonal and special occasion beers.

I've been researching it and will likely take components of several recipes I've found. I haven't decided on a exact ingredient bill yet.

Back