Boling Whirlfloc with Coopers kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norwegianBrewer

Reaction score
I just bought some brewing equipment (fermenter, hydrometer, sanitizer etc.) and some Coopers kits and I have a question.

First of all, I realize that these kits aren't the best way to a perfect tasting beer.
But this being my first attempt at brewing, I'd like something easy and not very complicated.

A Coopers Lager with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 (instead of sugar) seemed to be an ok start.
I know I'll get more of an ale than a lager.

But anyways...my question is this...

If i'd want to use Irish Moss or Whirlfloc to clear the beer....how would I do it?
Whirlfloc for instance, is normal to put in the last 15 minutes of the boil...but the Coopers kit isn't supposed to be boiled.
I guess it can ruin the taste/aroma/color or whatever.

Gelatin isn't really an option since I don't have the ability to cold crash.

So how can i use Whirlfloc on this? Or is there even any point to do so?

Can I boil water with the Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and the Whirlfloc, and then add the can contents after boiling?

Completely unneccessary with their kits. I've only done one but it cleared amazingly on it's own after 3 weeks in the bottle. I think they might even filter out most of the proteins themselves during their processing of their prehopped kits.

Rev.

Ok, thanks!

I guess I'll try the paradox combination of first brew ever...and patience.... :p

Good luck with it. Keep in mind their lager kit produces a drinkable, but very disappointing beer, so don't get discouraged! And don't listen to the instructions. Leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, bottle it and wait 3 more. It will taste a lot better and will be almost crystal clear, well mine was after 3 weeks or so and was cloudy earlier.

After that either start doing some extract or AG brewing depending on what your direction is. I only did that one kit and went to extract for almost a year then to AG. Your first extract beer will be significantly better than the Coopers kit.

Rev.

Good luck with it. Keep in mind their lager kit produces a drinkable, but very disappointing beer, so don't get discouraged! And don't listen to the instructions. Leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks, bottle it and wait 3 more. It will taste a lot better and will be almost crystal clear, well mine was after 3 weeks or so and was cloudy earlier.

After that either start doing some extract or AG brewing depending on what your direction is. I only did that one kit and went to extract for almost a year then to AG. Your first extract beer will be significantly better than the Coopers kit.

Rev.

Uuuh...Cooper's are extract too. What you mean are un-hopped (plain) extract kits. And the Cooper's lager isn't bad or "dissappointing" when properly brewed/conditioned. If one remembers that it's still an English derived ale,since AU was an English colony in the 19th century. And not just Botony Bay. So it's a malt forward light pale ale. Why they call it lager is anyone's guess. But it wasn't bad at 4-5 weeks in the bottles. Just dissapointing from a used to BMC's standpoint. Guess I can meet ya half way on that point.
But it has turned out be an interesting base for creating other,similar beers.

Uuuh...Cooper's are extract too.

With all due respect, no **** Sherlock, you know very well what I meant - a from scratch extract brew or extract kit from one of the many good online retailers like Northern or Midwest will make a significantly better beer. Not a no-boil, already hopped, extract kit. Come on now.

And the Cooper's lager isn't bad or "dissappointing" when properly brewed/conditioned..

But it wasn't bad at 4-5 weeks in the bottles. Just dissapointing from a used to BMC's standpoint

So you disagreed me with me then agreed with me?? :drunk: I know you're a huge Cooper's proponent, and I like Cooper's too and still use their fermenters and some other gear. But let's not kid ourselves.

Rev.

Back