Czech Six Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Czech Six Lager

27 lbs Pilsner - Bohemian (Weyermann)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carapils
3.00 oz Saaz (60 min)
2.00 oz Saaz (30 min)
2.00 oz Saaz (10 min)
3 Whirlfloc Tablets (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Budvar Lager Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2000 - half gallon or greater starter)
OR
1 Vial Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast (White Labs WLP802 - half gallon or greater starter)

Mash schedule (triple decoction):
Strike: 95 degrees F, 20 min
Decoct: boil 1/3 of mash 25 min
Protein Rest: add decocted mash, 125 degrees F, 5 min (plus decoction boil time)
Decoct: boil 1/3 of mash 25 min
Saccharification: add decocted mash, 149 degrees F, 50 min
Decoct: boil 1/3 of mash 5 min
Mash Out: add decocted mash, sparge with 170-180 degree F water

A single decoction from protein to saccharification may achieve similar results. I'm going for a very traditional mash/recipe here.

EDIT: I decreased the hops a bit to achieve about 25 IBUs - the advertised bitterness of Budvar (I can't edit the recipe info above to reflect that). Dry hopping with an ounce or two of Saaz might be nice as well.

Yuri
I am looking for a GOOD lager recipe how did this one turn out??
would you change anything? I am not wanting anything to hoppy( GOD forbid )
what did you really think of this one?
Cheers

Actually, I'm brewing it next month. I've got all the ingredients, but I just put my American hefe into the fermenter a few hours ago. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Hell I may brew it before you do.. It looks like a good recipe did you create it? I do 12 gal batches what do you think of the grain and hop profile for 12 instead of 15?
JJ

I created the recipe, but I looked up a few clone recipes as well as Budvar's website before plugging in the ingredients and numbers. For a 12 gallon batch, cut the hops by about 1/4 - that should get you pretty close.

Damn! I created this recipe assuming 4.0% AA Saaz hops. The ones that just arrived from AHS are only 2.1%. I ordered some extra hops, but not enough to double the amounts! I've altered my hop schedule to include 6 oz of Saaz at 60 minutes, 2 oz at 30, and 2 oz at 10, for 21 IBUs.

Brewing on Saturday...I'll let you know how it comes out.

Well...it's official. This batch was ruined beyond repair, and I dumped my first beer yesterday. It stuck at 1.042, and I did everything under the sun to revive it - higher temp, more yeast, even more yeast, Beano, and even a bit of aeration. Something went terribly wrong, and I can't nail down the root cause. I'm not really looking for stuck fermentation advice...it's too late.

Just wanted to let you guys know (Jaybird, in particular) that this one DID NOT turn out for me.

On the bright side...up until two weeks ago, the partially fermented beer tasted REALLY, REALLY good! This week it turned a bit sour...possible infection after sitting dormant for so long, I guess. I think this recipe has a lot of potential...I just need to brew it again and get a BIG, healthy batch of yeast into it from the start.

Back