What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1680983917.jpg

Not too bad at all!

My 2 toasted Ale(2-hearted-ish)Its faintly like it but deliciously unique.Toasting malt in replacement of Vienna will do that.Probably the best out of 7 batches of washed wlp005 i used,i can be a sucker for centennial though. Prettty malt sensitive yeast strain too it seems.

Had a bottle of my English IPA that needs a little more oomph in both the malt and hop department, and now a bottle of my ESB that's a couple months old and starting really coming into its own.

Harpoon Rye IPA - damn solid. nice strong hoppiness with a mild bite, rye woodiness, 6.9% abv. recommended.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=175052
went on a tour of the Harpoon brewery in Windsor, VT. if you happen to be in the area i strongly recommend it. not sure what the boston brewery is like, but the windsor one is way chill.

- the people there truly love their job. two different tour guides blurted out during their segment of the tour "I HAVE THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD!". infectious attitude :)

- they have the most kick-ass plate-chiller... as in, it can handle something like 5000+ gallons of boiling wort in less than 15 mins.

- dry-hopping requires someone to scale the outside of a 3-storey fermenter to manually drop in a large basket of hops. i want that job.

- they aren't supposed to serve you more than four 2-oz samples of their beer at the end of the tour, but they do. oh gawd to they ever (hic!)

- saw several 44-pound bags of hops laying around, including falconer's flight... drool.

Harpoon will always hold a special place in my heart because we had a keg of their summer ale at my wedding. that being said, i also recognize some of their offerings are a tad same-y. however i can heartily recommend any and all of the following, which i both sampled today and walked away with:

- Rich & Dan's Rye IPA (see above)
- Catamount Maple Wheat: good maple taste without being too sweet. alone it's worth the trip up to the brewery.
- Leviathan Imperial IPA: everything you'd expect in a IIPA. delicious.
- Leviathan Quad - OMG OMG OMG one of the tastiest american-made quadrupels i've ever had. amazing balance of sweetness and alcohol heat. i bought their very last case of the stuff. those bottles are going straight to my cellar. looking forward to enjoying these as their complexity develops over the months and years #kidinacandyshop.
- Leviathan Barleywine - the only one i didn't sample today, but one can't really go wrong with a barleywine (especially if aged a few month/years, as i intend to do with this 4-pack)
- Leviathan Triticus - walked out with a growler of this stuff because they barrel-aged the draft version in bourbon barrels (bottled stuff isn't). it was absolutely amazing. can't wait to crack into this one next weekend.

Harpoon's regular-gravity beers are decent to very good, but these guys really know how to make strong & flavorful beers. i'm very lucky that my in-laws live a few miles up the road from windsor :rockin:

bklando said:
What recipe did you use? Sounds good.

Im on my phone. Im gonna try to upload it.

SN Torpedo extra IPA

Batch size: 5.2 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.083
FG: 1.021
Bitterness (IBU): 65.3
Color (SRM): 10.1
ABV: 8.2%

[Grains]
Two-row (US) 13.500lb Grain 90.3%
Crystal 60L 1.000lb Grain 6.7%
Pilsener (German) 0.450lb Grain 3.0%

[Hops]
Magnum 1.00oz 13.5% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 38.2 IBU
Magnum 0.50oz 13.5% AA Pellet @ 30 min, 14.7 IBU
Magnum 1.35oz 13.5% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 10.3 IBU
Crystal 1.00oz 3.9% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 2.2 IBU
Falconers Flight 0.65oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop
Crystal 0.65oz 3.9% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop
Magnum 0.65oz 13.5% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop
Amarillo 0.50oz 8.0% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

[Yeast/Other]
Safale US-05 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

[Recipe Notes]
Mash at 155 - 156 for 1 hour. Dry hop for 14 days after primary fermentation.

[Batch Notes]
At transfer to secondary after 8 days of primary. The gravity was 1.014.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

My version(not exact) of Lakefronts esb.Its not that great but i think the origional may be less great.:eek: Im going to have to confirm it by comparing it.Its actually better than what it use to be after a few months.

I love me some torpedo!

Right now, a double milk chocolate stout. I thought it might be too thin, but its rounding itself out well. THICK head, nice lace, and the coffee and bitter are rounding themselves in. I gotta leave this alone for another week or two in the keg, if I can.

Sam Adam's Amber Ale now after brewing my hard cider. Hopefully it turns out well. I just winged it since I have never made it before.

My first SMaSH, a 2 row, Cascade ale with coopers yeast.

Refreshing, Very clean citrus smell and flavor, hardly any malt flavor. Its like a hard citrus drink. Not much of a beer, but fun.

Renegade's Russian Imperial Stout, holds its own against The Czar from Avery, and brewed only blocks away.

Having 1st of several of my APA's after runnning to the store,& getting the bbq pit going at 1:15pm. got a big leg of lamb & half a ham in there with some wester dry rub & mesquite,pin oak,& ash. Another 13 degrees to go...

Green Flash West Coast Ipa.Well deserved name.Big floaties too.Its whats on the inside that counts.

Back