Water test results with old and new water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
I have been doing AG brewing for 2 years and got to the point to look into my water profile.
I use a water filter I get from Lowes, pic below, and decided to stick with it after tasting samples with and without the filter. The filter removed the nasty chloride taste, so I thought it would be a good thing to not have that in my beer.
Anyways, I replace my filter as recommended, every 6mo, and decided to order a water test from Ward Lab.
Sample1 with a 6mo old filter
Sample2 with a brand new filter (got 5 gals of water thru it before taking the sample).
The results came out today and I'm very surprised.
Look at the red values, a huge change from the old to the new filter.
Shold I be concerned? What you guys think?
I'm clueless about water chemistry.

Water_Profile_120810.JPG

filter1.JPG

filter2.jpg

Something is amiss. That filter is only supposed to remove sediment and chlorine, I don't believe it would alter water chemistry that much.

I'm sure someone with a bigger brain can explain this.

Were these samples taken at the same time? You took a sample, changed the filter, ran 5 gallons through it, took sample 2?

Ask Ward labs for your money back. They have given you two test results both of which show the same conductivity but differ in anion and cation content by a factor of 40. The ICP machine was busted.

Help me out guys!
Should I have sent a 3rd sample without any filter?
Dammed! Another 25 bucks :-( + shipping

Ask Ward labs for your money back. They have given you two test results both of which show the same conductivity but differ in anion and cation content by a factor of 40. The ICP machine was busted.

is that right? Like I said, I'm clueless.
I haven't paid then yet.
I could resend the samples and ask then to redo the test, at no extra charge. Not sure it will fly.
I would even send a 3rd sample without any filter.

is that right? Like I said, I'm clueless.
I haven't paid then yet.
I could resend the samples and ask then to redo the test, at no extra charge. Not sure it will fly.
I would even send a 3rd sample without any filter.

It should fly, as the results they sent you are clearly wrong. Tell them the samples were the same source filtered with different carbon block filters and ask them to explain the results (specifically that the TDS and conductivity tests were identical as expected but the remaining tests were wildly different).

I have sent Ward some questions(based on you comments) and asked for a retest. Let's see what happens.

Ward recognized they had a human error and did a new test, results below.
What about now, makes sense?

Water_Profile_120910.JPG

Back