Grains to be blamed for strange aftertaste??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Hey guys Im in the middle of brewing an IPA kit i got from Austin homebrew and im wondering if it is possible that the small leftover bits from the specialty grain bag could account for a strange off taste in the beer...I have done 2 other kits, both of which had strange off tastes...the other 2 kits however I got from a different site which instructed me to place the specialty grain bag in room temp water and allow them to steep for 30 minutes (which was above 160 degrees). After doing some research Im pretty sure this is the reason for the aftertastes I got before. However I cant help wondering if these small pieces of dust-type grains which got thru the bag could be blames as well (as they stay in the wort throughout the boil.

Could anyone shed some light on this one for me..Thanks:mug:

This is copied from your other post in General Beer Discussions
Both those methods are accepted standards fro steeping grains. As long as the water doesn't get too much above 160F, and even then if you're not leaving them in at that temperature for more than a couple of minutes, you should be okay. The "leftover little bits" should not cause an off flavor unless your steeping bag broke and you end up boiling half the contents.

Can you describe your off flavor and the rest of your process? Including things like your sanitation routine?

Back