Keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Ok, I've searched through the posts on keg conversions and found most of what I am going to need to do. However, I haven't found any info on the size and positioning of the holes for a drain valve and sightetube. What I am looking for is the diameter of the hole and how far up off the bottom of the keg the drain valve should be positioned. Also, what is the best way to cut the hole? Can it be drilled out with a hand drill? The sighttube I figure will have instructions but again not sure.

Thanks

You should drill the hole for the drain as low as you can with out hitting the bottom side of the keg where it connects with the walls of the keg. figure out if you will be using a 1/2 or 3/8 inch ball valve for the drain and then find someone who has either a 1/2 or 5/8 inch drill bit ( as each bit is about 20 bucks for that size) and have them drill the hole in the top.

I am here to tell you that a sawsall (spelling) is not the tool to cut out the top. if you know of a welder in your area ask him what he will charge to plasma cut the top out. i have a buddy with one and it took him all of 3 min to cut the top off of two kegs for me. I tried a sawsall first and it is very hard to get those to turn and follow a round line.

Have fun

reverend

your going to have to do some grinding though to get that edge smooth if you use a plasma cutter.

The advice that I heard someone give was, before you cut the top, find the lid that you want to use and make your markings based on that.

Congrats, by the way - but you're still a bastid (WHY did I only search on "beer" instead of "keg"??)

Well, I'm taking the keg with me this weekend to visit my brother in law since he has a full welding/torch set. I'm planning on him cutting the holes. So the valve hole is what ever the size ball valve is? I wasn't sure if the size of the valve refered to the nipple or the diameter.

Bird, you will really hate me now. I was talking to a friend at the local watering hole I frequent and mentioned I was picking up this keg today. He asked me if I wanted another one.:D It's only a quarterkeg not a half but he's had it lying around for about 5 years and wanted to get rid of it. I'm planning on using it as a HLT when I get my grain system set up:ban:

I've got a bid in on a keggle on eBay, if I win that all will be forgiven... :D

I told my wife that I wanted an empty beer keg for my birthday, she just looked at me and sighed...

Funny! My wife doesn't listen to me anymore. Since I re-started this hobby all I talk about is how I can improve my system. What I want for my Birthday - beer stuff - what I want for Christmas - Beer Stuff. Maybe I can buy my son some beer stuff for his birthday.

To her everything that comes out of my mouth is beer stuff. To me it is my livelyhood.!!

Happy Beersgiving and a Merry Brewmas!!

- WW

2nd Street Brewery said:
Well, I'm taking the keg with me this weekend to visit my brother in law since he has a full welding/torch set. I'm planning on him cutting the holes. So the valve hole is what ever the size ball valve is? I wasn't sure if the size of the valve refered to the nipple or the diameter.

Bird, you will really hate me now. I was talking to a friend at the local watering hole I frequent and mentioned I was picking up this keg today. He asked me if I wanted another one.:D It's only a quarterkeg not a half but he's had it lying around for about 5 years and wanted to get rid of it. I'm planning on using it as a HLT when I get my grain system set up:ban:
Please don't let your brother in law cut the keggle with a TORCH we weld stainless steel all the time and a torch will distort the stainless and make the keg worthless. A torch will render to much heat in a concentrated spot and distort the sorrounding area. The correct way is to use a plasma cutter (very little heat). This procedure if you have it well marked before hand should cost between $10.00 to $20.00 bones.:mug:

2nd Street-

You will want to cut the hole about an 1/8 inch larger than the ball valve size. I have 1/2 ball valves and i needed a 5/8 inch bit and the holes are perfect.

Beer Weavel, he does have a p;asma cutter along with all his welding stuff. I just got the keg home and started looking at the trunk of my wife's car and it will be a tight fit:drunk: I can't take my truck because we're taking the grandson and his carseat doesn't fit in the front seat with two adults. Have to do a dry run after work tommorrow.

You getting a keg from someone bud?

When you said you had a bid out I went on to ebay and looked at kegs until I found it. I was thought about dicking with you and bidding it up but with my luck I'd win and end up with a keg I didn't need:D j/k

Have no idea what your new title means though.

:off: let me know the next time you are coming over to Hennessey's and I'll try to get out so we can meet. I'm out of town this weekend but I'm usually there every Saturday at some point

I am now forever in BostonBrewin's debt. He had an extra keg that is now on its way. I am, forever, his be-yotch.

I'll probably be over to Hennessey not this weekend, but the weekend after, once I get the recipe figured out for my next brew (likely a smoked porter). I noticed on my way back last time that I was only a couple miles away from Castleton.

Let me know durring the week about when you'll be over. I haven't brewed the last 2 weeks and am planning on a Deadguy clone next Sunday, I need some grains so I'll be hitting the LHBS up on Sat, probably around 11-12.

Congrats on the keg too:rockin:

Thanks, and thanks for keeping an eye open for me. I'll keep scouring Craigslist, I'm sure the next stage in this addiction is a three-tier setup, which means learning to weld........

Does this ever end?

Back