Short boil on an extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerMcAllen

Reaction score
Is there any reason to boil longer than your first hop addition?

I made an extract wheat kit with 1oz of flavoring hops at 15 min, and 1 oz of bitter orange at 5 min for bittering. My propane tank was about done, so I knew I would never get a full hour of gas (I can't buy by the pound, so a refill is a flat $18). I shortened my boil to 20 min so that I would have some time to get things under control before the hop addition. Is there anything wrong with this?

I'm guessing this is hopped extract, so you should be covered on hop bitterness. I think you're fine with shortening the boil.

It was the AHS Belgian wheat. I just read the instructions and it turns out that my new brew buddy can't read. There was supposed to be an hour boil with the bittering hops, and no aroma hops. No bittering hops did sound a bit funny to me when he described it, but I had never used bitter orange and figured that would take care of it.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what he ends up with. I'll have to let him know of the mistake if it really sucks.

You didn't say what the hops were, but Belgian Wheats generally use nobles and have low IBUs. Even with just a 15 minute boil, you'll get about half the IBUs. Combined with the bitter orange, it will probably be okay.

Back