Garage home brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look at these for the floor.
http://www.garagefloor.com/garage-floor-new-diamond.htm
My father in law did his garage in them. they come in solid or a mesh type and just snap together with. They come in multiple colors so you could do a design if you wanted. They arent cheap, but you could do a section at a time as money came available. They come up pretty easy too if you need to get them up.

I would look at these for the floor.
http://www.garagefloor.com/garage-floor-new-diamond.htm
My father in law did his garage in them. they come in solid or a mesh type and just snap together with. They come in multiple colors so you could do a design if you wanted. They arent cheap, but you could do a section at a time as money came available. They come up pretty easy too if you need to get them up.

Only problem with that is the garage is 22x22 which is about 484 sq ft which is about 12 boxes of 40x 1ft tiles which are $100 a box... which is over $1,200 just for the floor. It looks like really nice stuff... at looks like it is thin enough to easily install without getting in the way of anything else... but for it to be a great floor I would really want it to cover wall to wall.. then if you have a spill etc you can just grab the hose and spray it out! perfect!

We spent about 5,000 on the garage remodeling, the doors were about $1,200 and the ceiling was somewhere close to $1,000 with all of the tiles, lights, and insulation etc. Already spent over $600 on strippers and epoxy paint on the floors which will now have to be removed.... so we are already -$600... lets see if we can find some investors..... If we can afford it it would be a great idea.... I am liking the Coin style best as I think it could create better channels to mop up spills etc. Thanks for the link!

Just wanted to point out another option. My father in law did the solid ones and then at the floor drain area did the mesh ones. But you are correct they are not cheap.

We finished up modifying our large chest freezer into a fermentation chamber. We decided to mount the Love controller in a project box instead of to the chest freezer as their is a good chance the freezer will die long before the Love controller does.

A XLR microphone connector was use to get Hot, Neutral, and Hot->Out lines to the controller. A mono 1/8" jack was used to get the temperature sensor into the controller. We used 4x 8lb magnets glued on the inside of the box to easily stick and move the controller. The XLR cable was sleeved in some Tech Flex to make it look nice. The magnets are great as we can stick the controller to the lid or the side etc, wherever is convenient. The wiring diagrams found on this forum were very strait forward and helpful in wiring this thing up. We may make more of these to make them interchangeable with various heating and cooling tasks around the brewery. Might go with a 4 pin XLR though next time just incase we need to do heating and cooling and need the extra wire.

Controller with lid off
f1.jpg

Top of controller with cables going out the back.
f2.jpg

Controller hanging on to the lid
f3.jpg

Insides showing magnets and wiring connections.
f4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a pretty slick use of the xlr connector but is it rated for ac? Also, what is the current rating? I cant imagine it would be much. Im sure it is unlikely but I'd hate to see that one component burn down your nice brewery.

125v 16A.... same as the love controller.

Nice. I had no idea they were rated for ac or such current. Where did you get the ones you used? It makes a nice clean controller and moving it around for another application as you mentioned would be great.

I am just setting up a chest freezer ferm chamber and have to put together my controller yet. I may steal a few of your ideas. The magnets are sweet also. :mug:

Nice. I had no idea they were rated for ac or such current. Where did you get the ones you used? It makes a nice clean controller and moving it around for another application as you mentioned would be great.

I am just setting up a chest freezer ferm chamber and have to put together my controller yet. I may steal a few of your ideas. The magnets are sweet also. :mug:

Dont recall the brand, but here is a link to another XLR connector which shows the voltage rating. Picked them up at the local electronics store. http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Audio/AC3FDZB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs1DONElxlBMux1bOAuZsIP

Dude, you will be friggin jacked when you have a designated space. I have a good corner of a heated garage and couldn't be happier than if I was greased up and sliding down a mountain of titties.. The best thing I ever saw and grabbed the first chance I could was a commercial 8 ft double sink with the drainboards and the sprayer i can clean all my ag stuff and just leave it to Drain- You definitely need to finagle hot water to your space. I ran pex hot and cold inside a larger plastic pipe to keep them thawed in -15.. The drain just runs to the mulch. I see you may have the same issue with the h2o but you have to have it somehow... The sink isthe **** though, craigslist for closing restaurants etc. Paid like $300 total

We spent about 5,000 on the garage remodeling, the doors were about $1,200 and the ceiling was somewhere close to $1,000 with all of the tiles, lights, and insulation etc. Already spent over $600 on strippers and epoxy paint on the floors which will now have to be removed.... so we are already -$600... lets see if we can find some investors..... If we can afford it it would be a great idea.... I am liking the Coin style best as I think it could create better channels to mop up spills etc. Thanks for the link!

Use a high quality epoxy if you want to be able to clean it. It isn't cheap, but it is permanent and relatively indestructible if you install it properly. I installed Wolverine Coatings on my floor (a badly stained/pitted floor that had cracks needing repair and shot-blasting for prep) for roughly that price for a similar sq footage. I know it is in use in processing facilities that have to pass USDA and FDA inspections.

Latest posts

Back