when and how to use beano?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I've heard a few times of using beano to get rid of those last few gravity points that won't go away once fermentation has finished. From my understanding, beano contains enzymes that will break down carbs into simple sugars for the remaining yeast to get at. This basically does what the mash didn't, correct?

I racked my American Amber to my secondary without bothering to check gravity until afterwards. It's a little high, about 1.015 and I'm looking for at least 1.010, but I'm pretty sure it's done. Would beano work while in the secondary? Do I just crush up one pill and mix it in? How fine?

Thanks.

Unless you want to end up with a FG around 0.999, I would NOT use Beano in your beer. Yes it will bring the gravity down, but it is almost impossible to stop it once it gets going and your beer will suffer for it.

So just enjoy your beer as is and don't worry about the 4-5 points.

instead of beano you can use amylase enzyme powder from your LHBS- probably close to the same thing, might be worth getting if its cheaper

im sure if you controlled the amount of beano/amylase powder you used it would turn out all right- the yeast can't make amylase (obviously, or malting/mashing would be worthless), so if you control closely how much you use, i bet you could get what you are looking for

that being said, i have no idea how much to use or where to get this info, but look through the other beano threads and you might find something interesting

Unless you are trying to make light beer, its probably better to just mash with a lower temperature instead of trying beano.

But if you want to use beano anyway, what is recommended is 4-5 tablets crushed and stirred into the mash. I've tried it and used 1/2 has many ( only 2 ) tablets and it worked really well - nice and dry. But I like to make fizzy yellow lagers mostly, so for that kind of beer beano works great - if you want to make Ales maybe beano is not such a good idea.

I've never sweated a few points grav here or there, to warrant using it in my beer. As long as my beer is below 1.020 and has been so for several days...or I wait a month anyway. I decry it beer and call it a day!

Unless you are trying to make light beer, its probably better to just mash with a lower temperature instead of trying beano.
QUOTE]

I actually did mash med-low, maybe 152F if I recall correctly. So I didn't anticipate fermentation to end so quick for a beer around 1.050. Ferm temp may be the problem since it's cooler in the house, but that's not really the issue I'm trying to understand.

Anyways, I ran across this and the second article is pretty helpful.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Brew Wizard - Bubble Troubles & Beano: Mr. Wizard

When to use: Never

How to use: Throw away, or return to medicine cabinet

Adding Beano to your beer is one of those things that, once done, can never be undone. Using Beano in beer is kind of like seeing the Golden Girls naked. If you don't know any better, it sounds like a great idea, but you're going to be ruined forever.

I'm not sure if beano works in the secondary or not, I've tried adding it when I pitched yeast and I couldn't tell if I didn't add enough or what - it didn't really do anything I could notice.

But it does work well in the Mash. Someone told me that the beano enzyme breaks down at a temp higher than 150, not sure if that is true or not. Anyway, I just mash around 145-147 and the beano works great.

If your beer is already at .015 probably nothing to be gained from the beano at this point anyway. I'd just give it a couple of extra days and then call it done.

Mr. Wizard has a few things wrong.

1. Beano is not amyloglucosidase, it's Alpha galactosidase.
2. Amyloglucosidase (which is used commercially in brewing) breaks down at 40C (104F), not 175F.
3. Alpha galactosidase breaks down at 56C (about 135F).
4. If you use Beano and pasteurize the beer at 135F for 15 minutes, the Beano is de-natured. You can prime and add yeast safely to carbonate.

Beano, in the secondary, is not a good idea unless you are shooting for BMC lite. Or you monitor the beer closely and heat-treat it at the right point.

im sure if you controlled the amount of beano/amylase powder you used it would turn out all right- the yeast can't make amylase (obviously, or malting/mashing would be worthless), so if you control closely how much you use, i bet you could get what you are looking for

Enzymes don't work that way--they don't get used up in the process. So using less would just mean it takes longer to ferment out, it wouldn't affect how far it goes. You need to remove or destroy the enzymes to stop them from working (pasteurization's the easiest way).

Mr. Wizard has a few things wrong.
3. Alpha galactosidase breaks down at 56C (about 135F).

So I could potentially add some Beano during a 20min protein rest? And then cut it off during the saccrification rest? The reason I ask is I will be making a pumpkin ale with homemade malt. I worry there will not be enough amylase to break-down the pumpkin sugars.

Or perhaps I should do a mini mash with just the pumpkin and beano, add this to the main mash at the protein rest stage?

So I could potentially add some Beano during a 20min protein rest? And then cut it off during the saccrification rest? The reason I ask is I will be making a pumpkin ale with homemade malt. I worry there will not be enough amylase to break-down the pumpkin sugars.

Or perhaps I should do a mini mash with just the pumpkin and beano, add this to the main mash at the protein rest stage?

I would use amylase if you are worried about not having enough diastatic power in your home-malted grains. Every well-stocked homebrew shop will be able to hook you up.

Beano is great . . . if you intend to eat some cabbage and it doesn't digest all that well. Otherwise as sudbuster says - forget it.

I would use amylase if you are worried about not having enough diastatic power in your home-malted grains. Every well-stocked homebrew shop will be able to hook you up.

I will give this a shot, perhaps just a little bit to convert the pumpkin sugar.

Have a question regarding Beano and kegging.

I recently brewed a Black IPA with an OG of 1.067 and a huge starter (1.5L, decanted and stepped to 2L) of WLP001. It began showing signs of fermentation (bubbling like crazy) within 6 hours and all was good. It chugged along pretty aggressively in a water bath (wort temp about 67*F) for about 3 days then bubbling suddenly ceased. At that point the SG was stuck at 1.024 and has held there for a week so I know it's done. In an effort to restart fermentation I pitched a pack of rehydrating Notty but got nothing.

Ideally I want to drop the FG to around 1.014. I've read alot about Beano and how once you add it it will keep going until you're bone dry but would it be possible for me to stop fermentation by cold crashing/kegging? I realize this won't denature the Beano but it will stop yeast activity.

Thoughts on adding Beano, waiting until I hit my desired FG and then cold crashing and kegging to halt yeast activity? IF possible, how many tablets of Beano would you add?

Have a question regarding Beano and kegging.

I recently brewed a Black IPA with an OG of 1.067 and a huge starter (1.5L, decanted and stepped to 2L) of WLP001. It began showing signs of fermentation (bubbling like crazy) within 6 hours and all was good. It chugged along pretty aggressively in a water bath (wort temp about 67*F) for about 3 days then bubbling suddenly ceased. At that point the SG was stuck at 1.024 and has held there for a week so I know it's done. In an effort to restart fermentation I pitched a pack of rehydrating Notty but got nothing.

Ideally I want to drop the FG to around 1.014. I've read alot about Beano and how once you add it it will keep going until you're bone dry but would it be possible for me to stop fermentation by cold crashing/kegging? I realize this won't denature the Beano but it will stop yeast activity.

Thoughts on adding Beano, waiting until I hit my desired FG and then cold crashing and kegging to halt yeast activity? IF possible, how many tablets of Beano would you add?

Based on what's written above, you wouldn't cold-crash to stop it, you'd heat it up to ~130 degrees. I don't think cold will stop the enzyme.

Based on what's written above, you wouldn't cold-crash to stop it, you'd heat it up to ~130 degrees. I don't think cold will stop the enzyme.

I never said it would. I have no method of heating the beer, only cooling it.

I understand that cooling it won't stop the enzyme but in theory it WILL stop the yeast from further fermenting any simple sugars that the enzyme may continue to create from the complex sugars/starches even after cooling.

i.e. - cooling will stop yeast but not enzyme. Thus the SG will theoretically stop dropping when I cool the beer.

Thoughts?

Drink - that should work. The enzyme will work very slowly at cold temps, and the yeast pretty much not at all. However, to the extent that the enzyme does convert dextrins to sugars, the beer may pick up sweetness.

It would depend on how long you are going to drink the beer after you cool it. The yeast is probably going to continue fermenting slowly. Just a guess but as long as you drink it in a month or two it should work just fine.

I used beano in the last beer I made. It was an extremely light ale. I added three crushed tablets when I added the yeast. The SG was 1.041 and after 3 weeks I was at 1.003. I used white labs super yeast. The result was exactly what I wanted. It is essentially a tasteless beer. I was trying to make something for all my BMC friends. I used the austin homebrew low cal kit which was just extra pale LME, corn syrup, and 17 IBUs. With a little lime it is a very easy drinking beer.

Thanks guys, exactly the info I was looking for.

I'll probably crush 3 tablets and see where that takes me. Crash cool once I hit desired FG. This beer will be for a party (As long as it tastes good) so it will be drank in a single evening.

Aaaaannndd I go upstairs today to check on said beer and the airlock is chugging along (much more than just off gassing). Guess I won't be adding the beano, weird that it took well over a week after re-pitching to begin fermenting again. Hoping for no off-flavors.

Basically gas is caused by complex carbs/sugars not being broken down into simple sugars until they reach your large intestine, and then the simple sugars are fermented inside the large intestine causing you to fart. Beano breaks the complex carbs/sugars down earlier in your digestive tract so they can be digested and not end up fermenting in your large intestine.

In beer beano breaks down the complex carbs/sugars in the wort down into simple sugars so the yeast can ferment and ultimately reduce the SG.

Anyways....

Another update: this beer fermented fully down to 1.014 without the beano. It just picked up fermentation after a week and finished fine with no off flavors. I think the issue was that it got too cold in my water/ice bottle bath. My digital thermometer went out and I was just kind of guessing the temp based on experience as I added more ice bottles. It must have caused the yeast to go dormant.

After a week out of the ice bath at room temp it picked back up again and fermentation completed.

Back