HBT Mechanics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much mechanical work do you do yourself on your car?

• The Whole Thing: I cast the block myself.

• The Majority: Brakes, radiator flushes, tranny service, timing, etc.

• The Minority: Oil change, Air filter, Spark Plugs, etc.

• The Nothing: I don't even air my up my own tires.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can do routine maintenance but that's about it. I can build just about anything with wood or fix just about anything around the house though... just never got into engines that much.

Do you go on VWVortex? That forum is the only reason that I still have my car. They are really easy to work on.

You can use a nylon rope to compress the valve springs. :mug:

lol yeah Dans site is amazing I use it and the Bentley to do about everything. I only venture onto the vortex to pick up used parts from the classifieds I can't really stand the people on there. Everyone tells you to lower it and change the wheels.

Yeah I slipped last night and gouged the crap out of my lifter bores so I think I may need a new head.

Skills-wise I'm probably the "majority" option.

However I usually just pay a family member to do the more time consuming stuff, and end up performing only the minor stuff myself. Depends on my mood, doing a little work on a nice fall day is relaxing... doing the same work in the middle of winter is worth paying someone else IMO.

I can't really stand the people on there. Everyone tells you to lower it and change the wheels.

I must admit that MK3's do look much better lowered. Yeah, the general attitude on that forum is hate hate hate. I switched to this site. Everyone here is much more positive :tank:

I actually got to meet Dan in person. He's a really cool guy. He sold me my suspension. His car is sick.

I voted for the "I cast the block myself" one, which is not that far from what I do. I've replaced the clutch in my daily driver in my garage, rebuilt an engine, replaced suspension pieces, a hub/bearing once, alternators, thermostats, fuel filters...you name it I've probably done it. The only thing I don't do is state inspections, mounting tires, and alignments, as those either require state certification or really expensive equipment.

I as well have a Saturn SL2, a 2000. Small world!

And for those of you guys that like DIY cars as well as DIY beer, I give you Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. The best car mag EVER. Only one magazine would feature a Honda CRX with a Chevy 350 in it on it's cover.

The best car mag EVER. Only one magazine would feature a Honda CRX with a Chevy 350 in it on it's cover.

My brother put a 305 4bbl into a Datsun 280zx. Another guy down the street has got a early-80s RX7 with a 427 crammed into it. :eek:

Thx for the link :)

Back