I've found it..I've found the Holy Grail!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry guy's/gals...But I had to make a run to Whole Foods...i'm back now. haha

DSCN1892.jpg

I finally found a sinlge of Ruination IPA..I have heard good things about it. Gonna try it tomorrow and report back.

I drank one of the Raison d'etres tonight. Surprisingly hot alcohol bite to it. Simple fix to that. Aside from that, good yeast profile to it with some definite ester quality to it. Decently balanced.

Funny thing is, this beer is supposed to contain raisins. But this is a flavor that can be achieved with careful manipulation of the ester profile. I have had some of my Belgians turn out with a definite dark fruit, dried plum or raisin note.

For my money, Stone is putting out some of the absolute best brews right now, their Peat Smoked Porter is wonderful and I am yet to have one of their offerings thats not great.

DFH was one of my first forays into the world of high end microbrew, but now that I have found all the other great stuff out there I rarely buy anything by them except the occasional 60 minute. For what they charge for a 4 pack of 90 minute, I find that my money is best spent otherwise. Just my opinion.

That's badass. My wife bought me one for christmas one year and I drank it on my birthday (in Feb). It is without a doubt one of the most interesting beer experiences of my life.

I've felt for a long while now that while I may not drink many DFH brews, I'm glad they are out there doing what they do. Seriously, a beer brewed with pinot noir juice retailing for 18.99 per 750ml does not interest me one bit. But, it's cool a major craft brewery is out there tinkering around like a homebrewer.

I would have to agree about the 120 being over hyped but is one you have to try. I would preffer to by 2 Palo Santo Marron at the same price as one 120.

Now when I think of the Holy Grail of beers, it would be Hair of the Dog Dave.

When I first found 120 I ordered a case from my local beer supermarket. I expected to get a case price but they charged me the $10 bottle price. $240 a case, ouch! That was 2006.

Now when I want lots of 120 I drive to the brewery and get a case for $150 or so. Doing it this way is much more affordable.

In fact I like 120 so much, I'm trying a clone on Feb 7th.

Cheers!

The Ruination is very good for sure, defaintely gonna pick up a 6xer of it soon. DFH 60 remains my favorite at this time.

You had Pliny the Elder yet? In the same ballpark as Ruination, plus Avery's Maharajah is being released next month

OK Mr. Panzermann...I have tried the DFH 90 and I must say that it is pretty darn tasty!!! I am going to have the 60 tonight and I am saving the 120 for my 39th in July.

Thanks for showing me the way!!!

Kug :mug:

I went to the Liquor store the beginning of Jan. and picked up a whole case (24) of the DFH 120( they only had one if they had more i would of bought more..)

Its almost impossible to get this beer here in north texas.... when its here it goes fast and you have to prity much know someone at the liquor store to know when it comes in....

First post - this caught my eye...

Pliny is a beast, enough said and what do you mean Maharajah being released next month? I've been drinking Avery's Maharajah for a lonnnnnnng time...and while we're at it, coming in third place right now for me would have to be Southern Tier's Unearthly.

You had Pliny the Elder yet? In the same ballpark as Ruination, plus Avery's Maharajah is being released next month

Well...I just had the DFH 60 and I must say...I like the 90 more!!! It has a much fuller, maltier, hoppier, flavorful everything to it. :drunk:

I mean, I like the 60 but the 90...oh baby!!! :ban:

There was a thread about skunked DFH...this 60 kinda...in the slighest bit...had a...I don't know...maybe I'll have to try another just to compare but I still like the 90 better.

Now about the 120 :confused: is this going to be extremely malty...hoppy...over the top??? Should I let it condition more than just 6-7 months? All these questions...my oh my :p

The 120 I found to be decent, but not a beer I always want to have in stock. Special occasions and such yes. The Pliny beer that was mentioned I haven't found a place in IL to buy that and would love to get my hands on it. Similar to Old Chub, I have had it before when on a business trip, but can't find a store in IL that carries it.

The 120 I found to be decent, but not a beer I always want to have in stock. Special occasions and such yes. The Pliny beer that was mentioned I haven't found a place in IL to buy that and would love to get my hands on it. Similar to Old Chub, I have had it before when on a business trip, but can't find a store in IL that carries it.

Russian River isn't distributed to your home state so you'll either have to trade for a bottle or order one from somewhere like Liquid Solutions.

I've not had the bottled version but I understand that general feedback is that the most recent bottle run is the best yet. Fresh Pliny on tap is prb one of my all time favorites.

I'm freaking jealous. Baton Rouge has no clue on good beer. Yeah, SN, Flying Dog, and a couple of others in the Whole Foods store. But that is it. Enjoy! lucky bast@rd

I always have to bring good beer back from Houston when I make trips there. BR is hard, but not too bad. At least I can get my Orval.

Am I the only one who found it incredibly overrated? It was like drinking everclear infused with hops. Not for me I guess

I don't think it is THAT bad, but I do think it is overrated. It is a gimmick beer in my eyes, and nothing more.

I have to agree. I thought it was overrated. It's just too thick and sweet. It's talked about so much but not what I expected. Let's load it full of hops, make it super alcoholic, and make it sweet to help it even be drinkable. Then it ends up being so thick, it's like drinking syrup.

if you are ever in Delaware go to Iron Hill.

A friend brought me three 750 ml Iron Hills last weekend. The Dubbel, the Triple, and the 10th Anniversary. I found the Dubbel and the Triple both needed considerable more time in bottle. The Anniversary was perfect and very good with good balance between the malt and the alcohol bite.

IMO the beer is great but a stupid rip off. You can pay what you want but why not make your own IPA???

The IPA is not a science...Its hops, malt, and more malt. More hops, more malt...Lots more hops.

I have had singles on a few occasions, and bought a case a year ago for $125 and have 1 bottle left...I liked it alot, over the top hops, malt taste. except that it tasted a bit soapy. Too many bittering hops, or boiled too long, i think. It is an extreme beer tho, even if you don't like it, you gotta try it once.

would definitely buy it again. tho, i had to get on a waiting list with the master distributor in my area for 3 months to get my case

IMO the beer is great but a stupid rip off. You can pay what you want but why not make your own IPA???

The IPA is not a science...Its hops, malt, and more malt. More hops, more malt...Lots more hops.

Most people dont have the capacity to mash enough grain to make a beer that is 20+% alcohol. There is a considerable amount of tinkering that goes with making a beer that extreme. The average homebrewer probably doesnt have the capabilities.

Most people dont have the capacity to mash enough grain to make a beer that is 20+% alcohol. There is a considerable amount of tinkering that goes with making a beer that extreme. The average homebrewer probably doesnt have the capabilities.

What yeast would you even have to use to handle that alcohol content? Do you think they get the 20% with just malt, or add some simple sugars for the yeast to feast on. I didn't think the 120 minute tasted malty enough for it to be done with all malt, but then again, my taste buds were getting attacked with hops.

I'm sure that its not done with all malt. Some amount of simple sugar is most likely used whether its candy sugar, dextrose, or invert sugar your guess is as good as mine.

The yeast that most people in the homebrewing community are using for this is the White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast (WLP099). White labs which reports this yeast can handle up to 25% ABV. Getting a super attenuative yeast isn't that hard, its finding one that is super alcohol tolerant thats hard. You could use Champagne yeast, but even that has a much lower tolerance than the WLP099.

I'm doing a clone the 120 tomorrow (Feb 7). The details of this brew are here.

Just to give you an idea of Wholesale price from the 2/09 beverage book:

Keg
60 min - 1/2 barrel $135 ($130 3 or more) 1/6 BBl $66 (3/$63)
90 min - 1/2 barrel $180 ($175 3 or more) 1/6 BBl $82 (3/$79)
120 min 1/6 BBl $143

Case
60 Min $29 (5+ $28, 20+ $27.50, 30+ $26)
90 min $43 (5+ $42, 20+ $41.50, 30+ $40)
120 min $135 (no quantity discount)

Thats sounds about right. I've seen cases of 120 for $150-160 at a few places. Fairly certain the $135 is around what they charge at the brewery as well. I bought a case there last summer, just forget the exact price.

What yeast would you even have to use to handle that alcohol content? Do you think they get the 20% with just malt, or add some simple sugars for the yeast to feast on. I didn't think the 120 minute tasted malty enough for it to be done with all malt, but then again, my taste buds were getting attacked with hops.

I am sure that there is probably simple sugar in there too. The point I am making though is that making a big enormous hoppy beer like this is not the same as making your own English Bitter or whathaveyou. I dont believe it is as simple as "just make your own, it is only an IPA".

Latest posts

Back