Are northern brewer's grains pre crushed??? need a response quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I just received my kit and thought they were pre-crushed, when I ordered, but in the instructions it says to crush with rolling pin, dont have one and dont really wanna get one...

Are they pre crushed and this is just bad instructions or do I need to figure out a way to crush these things..

Thought most kits came pre crushed anyway
Thanks very much
PAtton

They will ship grains either crushed or whole: you can specify this when you order.

If you're not sure which you got, just take a look. If in doubt, post a photo here.

If you have whole grains, you can crush them with a rolling pin, but it's a pretty laborious process :)

If they are just steeping grains and less than about a pound, crushing them with a rolling pin (or, I've used a wine bottle) is really not a big deal.

Oh well I went ahead and used them. Some looked cracked, but I didn't specify that I wanted them crushed, so I dunno. I got alot of the smells and stuff, but it was my first homebrew so I have nothing to compare it to. There was a quite a bit of for lack of a better word crushed dust material of the grains. Does anyone, who has made a kit from NB know if they crush them for you if you don't ask them to? I didn't know a wine bottle would work, but I just used them like they were.

A quick test of NB's website showed a default value of uncrushed in the pop up window on an AG kit. Humpf, I would have thought crushed would have been default. And it costs a buck to get it crushed.

This would be a much bigger deal for a PM or AG brewer. This was just steeping grains with extract right? If so then it should be no big deal.

Back