RIS Swap ~ olllllo's Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likewise. I was gonna post a very similar picture, but I guess brewt00l took care of it for me ;)

I'll probably wind up sampling one sometime during May (cuz I'm curious!), one for 08-08, and one much later - at least Christmas of this year, maybe even sometime mid-2009.

1st sample...will update if additional samples are different
Appearance: 12oz Bottle poured aggressively into a stemmed tulip yields very little foam. A light skim of bubbles line the surface and quickly dissipate to a ring of tan around the glass. Inky black body that shows dark brown in direct light at the edges.
Aroma: A sweet malty grapenuts aroma followed by distinct milk chocolate. As the glass warms, the sweet cereal aroma blooms. No detectable alcohol until beer is fairly warm.
Flavor: Espresso, dark chocolate and caramel/toffee with some faint fruity esters. With warmth, the fruit esters take on a light raisiny influence on the back end right before a slightly dry/sharp finish that reminds you of the lingering flavor of a chocolate covered coffee bean.
Mouthfeel: Moderately full with low carb
Overall: Muy tasty, bittersweet/sweet with out being cloying while presenting a nice range of flavors. Enjoyable through out the glass.

Heyya dude. OK it's taken me a little while to get this far, randomly I did CBBaron and PseudoChef's in one night, and it took the wind outta my sails. But here I am. I'm a bit tipsy still from drinking experimental beers all day, but it's been about an hour since I sipped my last sample, and I'm in a good mood, and - rarely enough - in the mood for something dark and heavy.

So now's better than never. I uncapped your bottle and am letting it warm just a tad. It was just at 49*F but I want to see it just a bit over 52.........

*two songs later*

Okay. Where were we? I love this countrytechnotrancehousegospel music. It's great. RIS. Right. Tasting. 56*F now.

Oooooookay.

olllllo's 08-08-08 RIS​
Bottle: 12oz unmarked, very attractive Rabbit & Coyote label. Appropriate fill level, no discernible "hiss" upon uncapping. Or I have the technogospel too loud.

A: Given your prior notes re: low carbo, I poured the hell outta this beer. It rewarded me with about 1" of dense creamy ice-cream head. Almost Guinness head. I love these RISes because I get to use my fave descriptor, "inky black", for all of them. When held to my supa-fine flashlight, I get tons of ruby highlights. Very attractive beer.

A: First whiff is powerful Old Ale attributes, fig, raisin, plum, all sorts of darkness. But continued huffing reveals a subtle chocolate and whiskey tone underneath. Very bready, very malty, very reassuring and solid. After I get past the whiskey and the dark fruits, it almost turns into a cocoa-y dark chocolate Swiss Roll aroma. Mmmmm.

F: Chocolate up front. Huge port-like presence in the initial sip, but it subsides almost immediately. Left with a great velvety chocolate taste palate, with just little hints of oak and whiskey and prune. Subsequent sips are great chocolate roasty coffee goodness. Very nice flavor. Compared to Old Rasputin, for example, this seems under-hopped ---- but I find it pleasant in that fact. I almost prefer it to showcase the chocolate and bread characters. At times, I almost get a smoky note. It's very charming.

M: Oh my god velvet. Seriously, this coats like none other I've ever tasted. It's brilliantly good. I keep telling myself to slow down, and I keep taking bigger sips because I just cant' help myself. No noticable defects. No noticable contribution from water profile. Just f*ing brilliant bready velvety silk in a glass.

O: I like this with the lower carb levels. I'm completely satisfied with this beer. It's just such a rich, velvety experience that I can't stop drinking it. You're lucky I haven't chilled your others yet, or they'd be in great danger of extinction. I can't wait to taste this again sometime around New Years. :D

All in all, Thank you. I'm glad to have tasted your example.

n307400052_60067_1008.jpg

And thanks again for the button, it's made its permanent home on the kegerator. :D

Back