Wine not fermenting dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Starting gravity on my Peach was 1.123 and the gravity I am sitting at now is 1.052 as of 2 months. I took a sample figuring it would have fermented dry, as all my others have done in the past, and noticed it was really sweet. This is the first time I pitched the Red Star Premier Cuvee. I use mostly ec 1118 in my SP and Apfelwein. Airlock activity has been done for awhile. I understand that particular yeasts have certain limitations but this seems like they gave up a bit early on me.
Is this done with this particular yeast?
Should I aerate or do I risk oxidation?
This is my sixth or seventh batch of wine so forgive my newbness.

your OG was too high for that yeast too handle. in other words, the yeast was overwhelmed by the amount of sugar and just could not continue to dry. I don't think aeration will help you at this point. you could make a starter with ec 1118 and pitch or you can go ahead with the clearing stage and hope that its doesn't turn out too sweet.

I missed my gravity by a long shot. I was going for 1.090.
I don't know whether to dilute it with water and add peach schnapps or get creative with another alternative.

EHV:
I did the same damn thing, even used Red Star. My OG was 112, Yooper's recipe calls for OG of 95, after sugar added. My own fault, too lazy to take OG, but I do now, religiously. Anyway, Welch's juice OG is 66, so I took 2 oz fresh juice, added weighed amt. of sugar, and got the weight of sugar to raise a gal. to OG of 95. Since I had too much sugar in main batch, I calc'd the vol. of juice I'd need to DILUTE the entire pre-fermented batch down to an SG of 95.
You have to do this because with both alcohol AND sugar present, I don't think your SG will tell you anything.
So, all you have to do is add the correct amount of fresh juice. Don't have to use hydrometer on batch, only on test juice.
Residual yeast should begin ferment again. Maybe good idea to use 1/8 tsp nutrient. See what happens. I would re-aerate as last resort. Good luck.

You could have added some cans of Welch's frozen white grape and peach to get the OG down. The frozen juice will also add some body to the wine.

I would make another batch using the frozen juice and blend the 2 batches together.

I have 2 cans of the white grape peach concentrate in the freezer which I planned on using to backsweeten as needed if it came out a on the bitter end.
Would the alcohol content in the must now be a problem for a starter of Red Star to at least digest the sugars still present? (Guessing this goes along the lines as AlCophile was stating) If I figured it out correctly, the current content is aorund 9.5%. Its my impression that its capable of up to 18%
As far as making another batch, I can do that, and go with my OG target I was looking for to begin with then mix, with the sweetness helping out a dry ferment. I just don't know that I want that much grape peach tying up all my wine bottles.

yeast like certain environments better then others, if the must has too much sugar in it, the yeast will be slow to ferment and they wont ferment dry, this is what happened to you....l don't know what you are going to do, if it were me I would just clear it and bottle, Screwed up wine is typically not very easy to fix, its not like a car you cant just go buy another part if you break the first one putting it on.

My wife likes it, I'm not a particular fan. I guess she will win out on this one and I will bottle it. Thanks for the help.

Back