Cleaning the grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyron

Reaction score
Hello to all homebrewers, I have a question (maybe kinda dumb):

The malt that I can get in my country does not seems very clean, it is sent by the vendor in a plastic bag, and it looks really dusty/earthy...

How can I clean the grains to wash out that dust? It may be a dumb question but I really do not know the best way to do it...

Cheers and TIA. :mug:

It's just grain dust. Ignore it if you can. Some maltsters do better at cleaning the grain post malting than others.

Oh cool! I have made only two mashes and have never cleaned the grain, but I did not now if that was being affecting the beer in some way...

I was worried about, because I only have 1 or 2 vendors in my country... and they all sell it with this grain dust... :-/

Thanks! and cheers! :)

If you are worried about bacteria forming from your grain, don't be. When you boil, every possible living thing will no longer be living.

If you are worried about bacteria forming from your grain, don't be. When you boil, every possible living thing will no longer be living.
Well I was not worried about a bacteria... but about drinking dirt...

But yeah, I wont worry anymore about it.

And what if it comes with rocks or lumps of dirt (not my situation)? anyone knows an easy way to clean it at home?

Thanks!

Back