What do you think of this as a hopstopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it'll work just fine.

Here's what I do. Walmart and Target, others too I imagine have stainless steel wire mess sink strainers $1.99 each. I got 2 of them and wired them together with a short piece of copper wire then put a long piece of copper wire 180* from the short piece. I use the long piece of wire to hang the homemade hop balls from the side of the boil pot. Then just pull them out when the boil is finished.
3 homemade hop balls would cost you $12 not counting the copper wire and would last virtually forever.

I'm not sure if you have Home Depot or Lowes, but I'm sure something similar. Go to the paint department and pickup a 5 gallon sized nylon paint strainer. It's like $3 and reusable.

I've got a 1 gallon strainer from HD that I may try to rig up as well. I can deal with the whole hops fine, but the pellet sludge takes a bit more refinement.

That one gallon deal should stop pellet sludge also if it's the same one that I got from Lowes. Did it come in a two pack, kinda rounded on the bottom? I know the mesh is slightly more coarse than the "fine hop bags" available at LHBS, but I pull a baseball sized ball of hop particals out of the bag for even small 1oz additions.

It only came in a single pack, but it is rounded on the bottom. I picked up the jelly strainer to try as well - the mesh looks slightly finer. I'm going to try the jelly strainer first, and see how it does. The pellets plugged up my 8 inch round titanium screen fairly quick, so I like the idea of a system with quick bag changes in case of pluggage. I've seen the full 5 gallon set-up with the ready rod hangers, but I think I'll try this first.

Back