Festbier Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would the recommended yeast for those of us who don't have temp control? Notty's been mentioned, but that adds fruity esters, correct? Would you go for something cleaner, like S05, as mentioned by Ed earlier I think?

Maybe this'll be a winter brew and I'd put it in the basement. Maybe DIY chill it if need be with a shirt and wicked water/chilled? Use notty or S05 and keep it lower?

What would the recommended yeast for those of us who don't have temp control? Notty's been mentioned, but that adds fruity esters, correct? Would you go for something cleaner, like S05, as mentioned by Ed earlier I think?

Maybe this'll be a winter brew and I'd put it in the basement. Maybe DIY chill it if need be with a shirt and wicked water/chilled? Use notty or S05 and keep it lower?

There's been some interest in fermenting lagers warm, using lager yeast. See this as an example: http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

I plan to try it some time soon.

Interesting. Good luck. I'm a newbie and I want to brew this as intended. Not really goin for a steam beer. ;)

I brewed this on the 1st of April using Nottingham and subbing in Crystal 20 for the Caravienne due to availability and fermented at 58ºF in a basement waterbath. Just sampled this morning and the OG dropped from 1.062 to 1.015 in 10 days and tasted pretty good to me. Don't know if I will be able to let it rest as long as Ed originally called for in the recipe.

It just looks like too much grain and not enough hops imo.
You could half the grain and double the hops is still rationale?

Brewing this recipe today, following the recipe as written except for using WY2565 since my local shop doesn’t carry Omega Labs products. Doing a 5.5 gallon BIAB batch, will ferment at 58-60f. Excited to see how this turns out! I liked Ed Wort’s graff recipe quite a bit so I’m sure this will be good too.

Last edited:
Got an OG of 1.072, a little high. Currently sitting in the basement in the high 50s F. I plan to bottle this - should I bottle it after 3 weeks of primary, then lager? Or lager it for 2 months before bottling?

Back