What I need for brew days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grannyknot

Reaction score
I need someone, with a loud and abrasive voice, to stand beside me at all times yelling "QUIT MESSING WITH IT!!!".

One day I'm going to learn to stick to my plan & trust that my original calculations were correct. This weekends brewday started out great. My mash & sparge went well and I ended up getting around 80% efficiency. After that, it all went downhill. I went back and forth between oh crap, i've got too much wort....boil-off....Oh crap, now I'm short & overshot FG....add water. Wouldn't you know that I boiled off 1 gallon and was short exactly a gallon at the end of the day.

In the end, it was all screwed up.
Oh, and by the way...I am no longer inviting friends over to show them how easy it is to make beer.

one lesson i learned is to have something good to drink while brewing, whether it's your own home brew, or good commercial.

then it's easier to "relax, don't worry, have a home brew" WHILE brewing

I got about the same thing with a pm last Saturday. Instead of keeping the knob on "9" for the boil,I cranked it to "HI" for a good rolling boil. Got 3 gallons after the sparge. Boiled down to 5L at the end of the 1 hour boil. Came a quart short on the spring water,even though I bought 6 gallons. Had to add a quart of cold tap water. Tap water has been fine for extracts,but didn't want to use it for my partial mash. We'll se when it comes to test time.

Back