Heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrajc

Reaction score
Hi
First post and first brew. I got a coopers kit and it's in a room that can go down to about 17c so
I put a small 25w fish heater in with my 23l brew and set it to 24c do you think this will be ok to do?
Cheers
Adam

Why are you wanting to get the temperature up to 24* C? Is it a Belgian yeast?

17* C is pretty dang perfect for most ales.

Not shore what yeast it was came with a kit coopers beer. It said keep it between 21c and 27c. It seems to be getting more frothy now. It did say you could take it to 18c to 32c but work so well.

Not shore what yeast it was came with a kit coopers beer. It said keep it between 21c and 27c. It seems to be getting more frothy now. It did say you could take it to 18c to 32c but work so well.

Considering some of the best yeast available throws off esters and phenols in crazy amounts at 24-27* C or higher, I'd go with low-balling it considering you're using Mystery Yeast X that has been tapped to the bottom of your kit.

Also keep in mind that fermentation can raise the temperature as much as 8*

It seems to be getting more frothy now. It did say you could take it to 18c to 32c but work so well.

Wait, have you already pitched the yeast and seen signs of fermentation?

Too late to worry about temp control. :p

Wait, have you already pitched the yeast and seen signs of fermentation?

Too late to worry about temp control. :p

For sure.

To the OP next brew, before you do anything, throw away any instructions on the kit, and ask for the proper way to conduct your fermentation if you can't find it by a search of this site.

To the OP next brew, before you do anything, throw away any instructions on the kit, and ask for the proper way to conduct your fermentation if you can't find it by a search of this site.

"Throw away the kit instructions" is some of the best advice you can get on this forum :D

You have the fish tank heater in the beer? Most people put the fermenter in a water bath and put the heater in the water bath.

Those heaters can get pretty hot, it's an electric coil in a glass tube and glows red. The wort right around the heater can get pretty hot.

I ve taken in out the heater it seems to sit at about 22c so should be ok. I hope I haven't killed anything. When I took the heater out and I turned it on dry I get what you mean by they got hot lol. Ok I will not look at the instructions I will search this site instead.
Thanks people I will learn for my next brew. When I bottle is when fg stays the same they say 6 to 7 days?

. When I bottle is when fg stays the same they say 6 to 7 days?

When you get down to where the final gravity should be for the recipe you have should be or if using kits, where the specs of the yeast you are using states the attenuation level should be then you can wait for the gravity to stay the same for a few days in a row. Your brew should be ready to bottle then.
Most of us leave the brew a few weeks after fermentation has finished to clear and condition the beer while in primary.

What kind of beer is it? If it's a hefe or an American Wheat I'd say if the gravity is stable you can bottle after about 10 days.

If it's something with stronger flavors I'd say give it at least two weeks.

Back