British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put this in the secondary. OG was high at 1.062 and came down to 1.012 and still going. The hydrometer sample was delicious! Can't hardly wait until it ready to go. Thanks for recipe!

Ian looking at brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of this recipe this weekend. Should I throw in all the Notty yeast or split a pack?

I just cracked one of these after 3 weeks in the bottle and it lives up to the expectations. My efficiency was a little screwed up so my og was 1.049 with a fg of 1.015 using wlp002. This is a great sessionable brown ale with a prominent chocolate taste, creamy mouthfeel, and full bodied sweetness.

NewkyBrown said:
Ian looking at brewing a 2.5 gallon batch of this recipe this weekend. Should I throw in all the Notty yeast or split a pack?

I do 2.5 gallon batches and just pitch the entire package of yeast. It works out nice as you always are sure of having enough yeast without worrying about doing a starter.

Made this recipe yesterday and pitched the Notty yeast at 64F. The wort has a great colour and I can't wait for it to ferment!

Delicious recipe. Brewed as posted but used 1335 yeast. I will add a bit more "roastiness" for my next batch.

image-1727952307.jpg

Ordering up the ingredients to make this our first ever all-grain brew. First brew period for that matter. Wish us luck. Thanks for the recipe!

Well I woke up to the smell of toasting oats as I put them in the oven with the timer so I could get an early start on my first crack at this recipe.

With all the great feedback about this recipe I am stoke about this brew day.:rockin:

Done and Done. We split the 11 gallon batch into two 6 gallon carboys. In one, we pitched the Nottingham and in the other, White Labs 0005 British Ale. Our numbers came out a little higher than what is stated above but we hit dead on with what iBrewmaster came up with when I entered this recipe. Can't wait to see how these come out.

Mine was high too. I hit 1.067. I was kinda surprised. It's still tasty but the alcohol is prevalent. I sparged really slowly. About 45 minutes and I think that's what it was. But like I said. It's still tasty.

splakeshaker said:
Mine was high too. I hit 1.067. I was kinda surprised. It's still tasty but the alcohol is prevalent. I sparged really slowly. About 45 minutes and I think that's what it was. But like I said. It's still tasty.

Sorry. OG was 1.062.

Done and Done. We split the 11 gallon batch into two 6 gallon carboys. In one, we pitched the Nottingham and in the other, White Labs 0005 British Ale. Our numbers came out a little higher than what is stated above but we hit dead on with what iBrewmaster came up with when I entered this recipe. Can't wait to see how these come out.

Please post back the results of both batches. I am curious to hear of the differences with these two yeasts. Thanks

Looking for a bit of help here. This is my 2nd batch ever and the first using Notty. It has been 44 hours since I pitched and there is minimal activity in my carboy. I forgot to hydrate the yeast first, but I had used yeast energizer and pitched an entire package for 3 gallons of wort. The ambient temp in my basement has been 63F.
At this point there is a very thin krausen and a tiny bit of bubbling on the surface.
Any experience Notty taking off a bit slow? Is 63F maybe a bit too cool for it?
I know us noobs are supposed to RDWHAHB, but this is now near 2 days and I am not close to a HBS. So I want to gauge if I am going to maybe need to get another package of yeast soon? I don't mind just letting it go slowly, provided I am not risking a off flavors from a stressed fermentation.
If it matters, my OG was 1.055.
Edit:
I did not think I would have time before work, but I managed to get a reading and it is down to 1.031. So it is slowly moving along. I did not that I had not put the cap that floats on the starsan in my airlock, which explains the no airlock activity, but it still does not explain the lack of a vigorous fermentation at any point so far.

Thanks,

Chris

Notty usually ferments pretty fast for me, but if I've ever had a slow ferment I never really had any off flavors from it. Seems like you did everything and more to keep the yeast happy and it is fermenting. I would personally let it go as is.

I just pitched some danstar Windsor yeast on a black all at 1.054 and 61 degreea and that stuff blew up like a volcano and got to 1.014 in 24 hrs! Never had that happen to me before with this yeast. I guess sometimes things can be a little different but still fine at the same time.

Thanks for the quick reply D_Nyolm.
It was definately a noob issue when I found the piece of my airlock in the laundry sink. After putting that on I see lots of airlock activity. (I know airlock is no the only sign of fermentation). But vs. my first batch which was a pumpkin ale with SF05 I have not seen the vigorous activity in the wort itself. With the SF05 my carboy kind of looked like a freshly poored Guiness.
I am happy with slow and steady provided I don't end up with any off flavours.

And slow and steady is prob the best way to not get off flavors. So youre prob in good shape. Do you think there was enought oxygen in the wort when you pitched? If not, you still can prob safely add some to get things moving. Ive used a sanitized racking can wih a cap on the end and jus plunge it up n down in the top of the wort for several minutes. Makes it frothy!

Looking for a bit of help here. This is my 2nd batch ever and the first using Notty. It has been 44 hours since I pitched and there is minimal activity in my carboy. I forgot to hydrate the yeast first, but I had used yeast energizer and pitched an entire package for 3 gallons of wort. The ambient temp in my basement has been 63F.
At this point there is a very thin krausen and a tiny bit of bubbling on the surface.
Any experience Notty taking off a bit slow? Is 63F maybe a bit too cool for it?
I know us noobs are supposed to RDWHAHB, but this is now near 2 days and I am not close to a HBS. So I want to gauge if I am going to maybe need to get another package of yeast soon? I don't mind just letting it go slowly, provided I am not risking a off flavors from a stressed fermentation.
If it matters, my OG was 1.055.
Edit:
I did not think I would have time before work, but I managed to get a reading and it is down to 1.031. So it is slowly moving along. I did not that I had not put the cap that floats on the starsan in my airlock, which explains the no airlock activity, but it still does not explain the lack of a vigorous fermentation at any point so far.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes Notty will take off slowly in cool temps and even in warm temps sometimes . Usually it is quite fast but not always . Let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle it . If you want to secondary for some reason then wait one week and secondary . it will be done in a week . rehydrating it is not an absolute thing . How ever it can damage the healthy yeast count when dropped in wort . I forget the reasons , I think too low temp , sugar blah blah blah . It will bounce back .
check the FG in one week and I think you will be happy . If you want you can always rehydrate another pack and drop that in now . It would not hurt anything .
Edit :
Yes the temp is fine . 57 to 70 is the recommended temp . Oh and I think your gravity is just fine for two days on a slow fermentation .

Question about Nottingham. I love the recipe and I like the way it taste. But does the yeast have anything to do with the fruit flavor that I get from this beer.

Just brewed this up today, and with about 15 minutes left in the boil a wasp hovered over and dropped in the wort. I tried fishing it out but it was too late. I wonder how many IBU's a wasp has....

Just brewed this up today, and with about 15 minutes left in the boil a wasp hovered over and dropped in the wort. I tried fishing it out but it was too late. I wonder how many IBU's a wasp has....

I wouldn't worry much about the IBUs. At 15 minutes that's more aroma territory. ;)

I wouldn't worry much about the IBUs. At 15 minutes that's more aroma territory. ;)

yes and I do not know if you ever sniffed a wasp's ass before but it is a wonderful aroma nothing like sniffing the ass of warthog . This should make a great addition to the beer

I would've rather used a honey bee but a wasp is all I had on hand. I still might end up dry hopping some honey bees instead. I figure a half ounce should be fine.

Just bottled up my first batch of this tonight. My 2nd brew ever. Now to see if I can hold off 6 or 7 weeks to let this properly carb up and mature. I just completed an 8 week wait for my pumpkin ale and found it worth the wait. Hopefully this one turns out as well as my first.
I decided to bottle a little less then half of it with a 1/4 ounce of almond extract as a bit of an experiment. I wanted to use Hazelnut extract but could not find any.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Got our first batch of this kegged and carbing in the fridge. We split the batch... 5 gal with Nottingham yeast and the other 5 with WLP005. I put the Nottingham on CO2 and the 005 on Nitro. We'll see how everything is by the weekend. Can't wait.

CliffMongoloid said:
Would us-05 work ok with this recipe?

As Jamil would say .... "Weeeeeeeeelllllll ...... You COULD use that, buuuuuuuut."

I would recommend s04, maybe Notty if you use a dry yeast. But wlp002 is other-worldly good in this beer. I'd have to check my notes but I want to say I was in a hurry and didn't make a starter. I think I just went with 2 vials in 6 gal.

Just brewed this for the first time. In came in with an OG of 1.052 so not too far off from the recipe. I'm pretty excited to try this one out when it's ready.

Ok, I will be trying this out but have made a few modifications due to my ingredients on hand which I'm trying to use up. Let me know what you think.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nut Brown Ale
Brewer: Joe Tylicki
Asst Brewer:
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.31 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 15.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.42 %
2.00 lb Oats, Golden Naked (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.60 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.75 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.15 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.15 %
3.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.63 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 23.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 34.88 qt of water at 167.8 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out 168.0 F

Wow, up to 64 pages. Hoping someone can answer a quick question and save me rummaging through all the posts. Im on a time limit and my brother in law wants a nut brown for a party. Is this beer good young? Based on the recipe, Im guessing it should be ok. I would have probably 12 days to ferment and then a week in the keg. I am able to control ferment temps so that should help as well.

Depends on the yeast you use. I make it with 002 and find that it is best with a 3 week primary and a week or so in the keg. But something like Notty may clean up a little faster flavor wise.

Either way, a big healthy pitch will probably help you accelerate your timetable.

Just brewed this tonight following the OP to the letter. Hit all the numbers just right, so here's hoping it's a winner!

gravity sounds about right . Should be around the .060 range when done I think give or take a few or 10 one way or the other . I can tell you that the Deeznuts version which is what I just brewed ( almost ) is 1.064 pre boil . that is a version with 1 lb chocolate instead of .25 . I think I may have hit a bit low this time around . Do not think a few points either way is a deal breaker . this version does come out a bit light on the chocolate coffee flavor and is mellow for a brown and very tasty indeed. I am brewing it next week as friends really enjoy it .
This time I went with in between Deeznuts and this . Deeznuts version has won a few first place prizes . It uses 1 pound chocolate and a 15 minute fuggles ounce . I used 10 ounces chocolate that had a ounce of black in it and about 22 grams of fuggles for 15 minutes.
Any way you go you will be drinking a great beer. With this flavor profile I think you will not be noticing any difference in a few gravity points .
just boil off a bit more water to get your gravity up higher if it is important to you but I think you will not need to.

edit : I also used 10 pounds of 2 row .

Back