2011 San Diego NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm attending NHC this year and am a newbie. Can a veteran help me understand more about the educational tracks? I see that they finally posted more information about the classes earlier this month and was looking through it and like a few of the talks in one track/room and a few in another... Do they let you pick and choose which talks you want to go to or do you have to pick a track/room and stick with it? Thanks!

Do they let you pick and choose which talks you want to go to or do you have to pick a track/room and stick with it? Thanks!

you can pick and choose.
there is time between classes to hit the hospitality suite and grab a beer, then head to the next seminar.

Several seminars will offer beer tastings as well. My advice is DRINK WATER. Lots of water.

Last year in Minnesota, I saw people passing out by 11am. Seriously.
None of the HBT crew were in that group, typically we were coherent till at least Noon. ;)

There aren't really any tracks defined. You basically have to look at the schedule and pick which talks sound interesting. If you see two of interest in the same timeslot, check the rest of the schedule for reruns. Not all talks are run twice, but a few are usually. You're not going to get to see everything. You can get up a walk out/in any time you want.

If you want to sample beers, the talks run by brewers of local places are where you want to be.

Advice? This is a marathon, not a sprint. Tapping out early is a huge waste of money.

Holy crap, I don't want to be one of those guys; I will definitely pace myself. That's great to know, as I've asked many people people with my homebrew group, but all of the ones that I have talked to are going for the first time as well... Yes, there were a few that I was really interested in and didn't want to miss if I had to stay in the same room/track. I'm really looking forward to this; thanks guys!

None of the HBT crew were in that group, typically we were coherent till at least Noon. ;)

12:01pm to be precise. :D

I'm arriving on Wednesday morning. My plan is to drop my junk off at the hotel for safe keeping, and hop on the first pub crawl bus that comes by. Anybody who wants to meet up, shoot me a PM so we can exchange cell #s.

I plan on bringing some of my RIS, and some of my Flanders Red, along with a couple of meads. Any interest in meeting up for an HBT tasting?

12:01pm to be precise. :D

I'm arriving on Wednesday morning. My plan is to drop my junk off at the hotel for safe keeping, and hop on the first pub crawl bus that comes by. Anybody who wants to meet up, shoot me a PM so we can exchange cell #s.

Soper and I should be rolling in sometime around ~2p on Wednesday. He'll be ready for a beer since I'm gonna make him listen to Metallica the whole drive.... :D

Me and the G/F will be there, arriving on Tuesday and there for the duration. Also will be at the Brew Network anniversary party BNA6. I have a keg of my Belgian IPA going down with my club. My club will have a booth on the floor. GEBL (Greater Everett Brewers League)

Please include me on any master contact list that gets generated as I'd love to meet some HBT'ers. I met a few at GABF and had a few beers with them last year.

I am on Twitter as Zen_Brew and
Facebook as zenbrew1 and
e-mail [email protected]
Sometimes I can even figure out how to get notifications from them on my phone (but not always) LOL

Gettin' there Weds 'bout 2:00ish... very important question coming from a guy flyin' from the other side of the country... where is there HBT-worthy packy (liquor store to you non-Massholes) anywhere near the hotel that I can stock up at?

I am only planning on bringing a couple of bottles in my suitcase and would like to pack a select cooler once getting there.

Anyone know of a solid place?

Wait.. you guys actually drink EXTRA beers during the conference? If you can't tie one on between hospitality, seminars, and the nightly beer fests, your tolerance must be through the roof. Maybe I'm just a lightweight. I plan on catching dinner on Wednesday night and finding some watering holes but starting Thursday I think I'm on conference buzz.

Soper and I should be rolling in sometime around ~2p on Wednesday. He'll be ready for a beer since I'm gonna make him listen to Metallica the whole drive.... :D

Oh, cool, you're driving over with Chris? I'm in ASH with him and he brews some great beers...

We're leaving around 5:00 - 5:30 AM to get there for the Ale Smith, Hess and Port tour at 1 PM on Wednesday. Would love to meet up with some fellow HBT'ers as well!

Bobby_M said:
Wait.. you guys actually drink EXTRA beers during the conference? If you can't tie one on between hospitality, seminars, and the nightly beer fests, your tolerance must be through the roof. Maybe I'm just a lightweight. I plan on catching dinner on Wednesday night and finding some watering holes but starting Thursday I think I'm on conference buzz.

I get through it by using a very small tasting glass as my imbibing vessel. Ask soper, he'll confirm I'm a light weight!

I got the VIP tics as well for BNA6 :D

Oh, and OlllllO, I still have a pic of a group of us from the Falling Rock pub at GABF in Denver. It's on the G/F's camera which is likely why I have never gotten around to posting the pics from there. She made a printed copy of a couple of the pics and put them on the fridge and everytime I see them I think, damn, what a butthead I am for not posting them in the GABF thread LOL

Oh hold on... Sweet! If there's gonna be a ton of beer at this thing I won't have to bring all that weed I was going to bring. nice. I was nervous about airport security

Solid call... not gonna lie.

On a half serious note though... I WOULD like to know if anyone has a really nice liquor store around there. I probably won't need beers for the time I'm there but I'm planning on packing the suitcase with some stuff that you can't buy back here in Mass. (Russian River being a good example).

Solid call... not gonna lie.

On a half serious note though... I WOULD like to know if anyone has a really nice liquor store around there. I probably won't need beers for the time I'm there but I'm planning on packing the suitcase with some stuff that you can't buy back here in Mass. (Russian River being a good example).

Looks like there's a BevMo not too far away from the conference....

another thing to remember is that California does not regulate liquor like other states. You can get beam, merlot and beer at the drugstore if you want. Any local Grocer should have a descent selection but not RR probably.

Edit: there is a whole foods nearby and they are known to carry RR

I'd buy the RR early. I'd bet there's more than one person attending w/your diabolical plan.

In Minnesota - the local clubs organized beer junkets to stores. I'm sure the SD locals will do the same. Make friends at club night and in seminars, then keep your eyes open.

Tip: I find my RR products locally at a small convenience store with a Subway sandwich franchise stuffed inside. seriously. Look inside the little liquor stores, the mom and pop shops. You might be pleased at what you find.

Back