IPA recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
I have looked at the recipe databas but am lost. I have not ventured too far into hoppiness but plan on trying an IPA this spring and am not sure about recipes to use. I want to have one available for my July 4th BBQ.
I have tried several pale ales and IPA's and Yards is, I think, becoming my favorite. Their pale ale and IPA I do like for the summer as well as their ESA for the autumn. http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales_philadelphia-pale.asp. Anyone have a recipe recommendation that is similar? It does not have to be a clone, a good pale ale or IPA that is not too bitter but hoppy would be fine. From tasting a few I do lean towards the grapefruity hops a bit.
Thanks Ben

yeah I have made an all amarillo beer too and it turned out good. but it was very subtle. I just bottled an all centennial batch. It tasted great and pungent.

10 lbs. Golden Promis
2 lbs 10L Munich
Mashed at 150.

1 oz Centennial (60 mins)
1.25 oz Centennial (10 mins)
2 oz Centennial (0 mins)

1 oz Centennial Dry hop for 10 days

OG -1.068
FG - 1.010
Est. abv 7.6%

You could go a lot of different ways. I've never had Yards, so I'm no help there. Maybe if you tell us what you liked about it, and what you're going for, maybe we could all put our head's together and give you some ideas.

An all-centennial IPA is nice. Have you ever had Bell's Two Hearted? It's my everyday drinker. But it's not for everybody if you're new to IPAs. Are you looking for fruity, citrusy, spicy, hoppy, bitter, light, etc? If you can give us a few adjectives, I bet we could help you narrow it down.

My friend doesn't like IPAs, as she doesn't like bitter beers. But she loves my DFH 60 minute clone. I didn't understand why, but she explained to me that it wasn't bitter to her- that it was fruity. Well, it does taste quite a bit of grapefuity hops, and it's not very bitter. So, she liked that. But she did NOT like my all-centennial IPA (the Two Hearted clone). She made a "bitter" face and didn't like it a bit.

Any other commercial IPAs that you like? If you mention one I've had, I think that would help.

That amarillo IPA recipe is awesome. Best beer I've made. I've made it several times.

You could go a lot of different ways. I've never had Yards, so I'm no help there. Maybe if you tell us what you liked about it, and what you're going for, maybe we could all put our head's together and give you some ideas.

An all-centennial IPA is nice. Have you ever had Bell's Two Hearted? It's my everyday drinker. But it's not for everybody if you're new to IPAs. Are you looking for fruity, citrusy, spicy, hoppy, bitter, light, etc? If you can give us a few adjectives, I bet we could help you narrow it down.

My friend doesn't like IPAs, as she doesn't like bitter beers. But she loves my DFH 60 minute clone. I didn't understand why, but she explained to me that it wasn't bitter to her- that it was fruity. Well, it does taste quite a bit of grapefuity hops, and it's not very bitter. So, she liked that. But she did NOT like my all-centennial IPA (the Two Hearted clone). She made a "bitter" face and didn't like it a bit.

Any other commercial IPAs that you like? If you mention one I've had, I think that would help.

am newer to IPA's so a less bitter citrusy/grapefruity beer with a little malt forward is the best description of what I am looking for. similar to what you described above with your DFH60

What is Yards. Who brews it??
http://www.yardsbrewing.com/home.asp
their Brawler is a great mild esp on tap in Phila. also have gotten to like the ESA as well as their ales of the revolution, except for the tavern spruce just cant get thru the pine sap taste. even my wife who does not like bitter at all can do ok with their pale ale and IPA

I made up a recipe for an IPA lastweekend. So far it tastes wonderful in the primary. Plan to rack it onto an ounce each of Cascade and Citra leaf. If your interested, shoot me a PM in a couple weeks to find out how it was. If you want to try it without my take on the finished product, let me know. So far it has a great grapefruit flavor with a touch of pine and a good bitterness. aroma is definitely citrus. Malt bill gives it a darker color but a nice sweetness to back the hop flavors.
tom

am newer to IPA's so a less bitter citrusy/grapefruity beer with a little malt forward is the best description of what I am looking for. similar to what you described above with your DFH60

http://www.yardsbrewing.com/home.asp
their Brawler is a great mild esp on tap in Phila. also have gotten to like the ESA as well as their ales of the revolution, except for the tavern spruce just cant get thru the pine sap taste. even my wife who does not like bitter at all can do ok with their pale ale and IPA

That IPA might be ok for you, then. It's not very bitter, but there are a ton of "in your face" citrusy hops. If you're not wanting that, it might NOT work!

Less bitter, more citrus/grapefruit: All Amarillo IPA is just what the doctor ordered. It's awesome, trust me. :mug:

That IPA might be ok for you, then. It's not very bitter, but there are a ton of "in your face" citrusy hops. If you're not wanting that, it might NOT work!

Less bitter, more citrus/grapefruit: All Amarillo IPA is just what the doctor ordered. It's awesome, trust me. :mug:

am looking to do a couple of 2.5 Gallon single case batches so both of these may work. Thanks.

YooperBrew, on DFH60, I actually do like this, it was one of the first I had tried and was thinking of getting a 6 to try again but brewing it may be just what I need to do.

Rick500 as I can see from your signature the Amarillo IPA is a big hit and may be "just what the Dr ordered" ;) ROTF
Thanks will give it a go as well.
Ben

I've had the Yards and didn't like it much. It reminded me very much of the few IPAs I've made where my US-05 went all estery on me.

EDIT: my point was not just to criticize Yards, so much as to highlight its estery character, and that its very different from e.g. Two Hearted which is one of my favorites.

I've used the Hop schedule from Jamil's IPA in brewing classic styles quite a few times and really liked it. Tons of passion fruit and grapefruit flavors. I would highly recommend using it. As far as grain bill It depends on if you like dryer IPA's or Sweet Malty ones. I'll give a couple of examples both will use Jamil's hopping:

Sweet/Malty IPA:

12 lbs of Pale Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb C60
4oz C120

Mash at 152
Danstar Nottingham for
yeast

Dry IPA:
13 lbs Marris Otter
8oz. C40

Mash at 150