step infusion (Kolsch beer) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I don't have my HERMS set up yet so I only do single infusion at this time. I make 10 gallon batches with 15 gallon HLT and BK pots and a 70 qt cooler. I am brewing a classic Kolsch recipe this weekend and would really like to get as close to style as possible. Looking to make a dry and clear beer. Sine I can't effectively raise mash temps, I was thinking of doing a two-step infusion. First infusion (dough-in) would try to shoot for a rest of 145 degrees. Probably use 1qt per pound of liqour. Second infusion would shoot for a mash temp of 155 using .5qts per pound. Total grain weight of 22 pounds. First rest 50 minutes, second rest 20. Does this sound like a good approach? Or would a single infusion at 148 be just as good with a thin mash and long temps? Thanks!

The whole thick vs. thin mash thing has been discussed and many now believe it has no noticeable impact on fermentable sugars v. dextrins in homebrewing. However, the standard 1.25 qts/lb for a single infusion is pretty thick and probably became standard in homebrewing from the propensity of brewers brewing ales. Thinner is fine too and 1.5 to 2 qts/lb is what I usually do.

Anyway, if you did a single infusion, you want to go at least to 149°F because starch has trouble gelatinizing below that. Your step infusion sounds fine. You could go like 45 min. at 145°F and then 156-158°F for 30 minutes and get a relatively dry beer with some body.

I've done single infusion mashes for my two kolsches and I thought they were both pretty damn good.

Back