Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My batch (first full batch, I did a 1 gal test batch last year) was made from 5 gals. of late season cider from a local orchard. It fermented out very dry (0.998), but no sourness. Six months after pitching, and two after bottling, it has a nice apple flavor, but would be quite dry for the tastes of many people. Some people backsweeten, but I like it the way it is. I have no explanation for the sourness in your batches.

rico567 said:
My batch (first full batch, I did a 1 gal test batch last year) was made from 5 gals. of late season cider from a local orchard. It fermented out very dry (0.998), but no sourness. Six months after pitching, and two after bottling, it has a nice apple flavor, but would be quite dry for the tastes of many people. Some people backsweeten, but I like it the way it is. I have no explanation for the sourness in your batches.

The only thing I can think of is the room they were fermenting in got a bit hot. Maybe that caused the off flavors? I recently moved and my basement is a stable 68 degrees F I'm going to try a batch down there and compare.

I bottled my batch after almost 7 weeks in primary, I used montrachet yeast. Final gravity was 0.999. The yeastcake was solid and it had cleared nicely. I put 5oz of corn sugar in the 5 GAL batch and bottled some in flip top bottles and some in 16oz pet bottles. It's been 5 days at 70-75 degRees and the pet bottles are still soft and have no sediment in them. Does it take a long time for apfelwein to carbonate? Will there be yeast sediment in them? Usually my beer has some sediment by this time.

Started a 5 gallon batch last night using Kirkland Apple Juice but following the original recipe in the OP. I did not see any fermentation this morning like my friend say after the first hour or so. Hope the yeast was viable, this is my first attempt at brewing anything. I set my fermentation chamber to 66 degrees, so typically the air temp seem to be a bit lower say 63-66.

Just sampled my 1st batch upon racking to secondary to free up my better bottle. All I can say is, wow that was easy, and damn good, even at only 3 weeks or so. I have a question though. I followed originally recipe on page 1, but for only a 4 gallon batch, my original OG came to 1.052, I didn't have more sugar, so I let that go a week or so until it went to about ~1.00, I then added table sugar to bring it up to 1.022. Upon racking today it was 1.006. How should I figure the ABV for a late sugar addition like that? Is it just 1.052 + 1.022? as my new OG?

Thanks again for the community for making this so easy. Next time I will take better notes so I remember what the hell I just did.

John

3 weeks! WOW! I am getting excited. I hate waiting. May I ask, at 3 weeks had your yeast stopped working yet or were they still going?

Also, sorry I can't answer your OG question. This is my first batch and I have no idea how to calculate that. To show you how "systematic" I am, I made my 3 gallon batch by using 3 pint glasses filled with dextrose. I am pretty sure it was accurate ;)

Started a 5 gallon batch last night using Kirkland Apple Juice but following the original recipe in the OP. I did not see any fermentation this morning like my friend say after the first hour or so. Hope the yeast was viable, this is my first attempt at brewing anything. I set my fermentation chamber to 66 degrees, so typically the air temp seem to be a bit lower say 63-66.

I used Lalvin 71b-1122 and I got airlock bubbles after 6 hours. I also accidentally put my 3 gallon bottle in an area of my house that vibrates due to the water heater. I know that doesn't make a difference but just saying. I'm a noobie.

I bottled my batch after almost 7 weeks in primary, I used montrachet yeast. Final gravity was 0.999. The yeastcake was solid and it had cleared nicely. I put 5oz of corn sugar in the 5 GAL batch and bottled some in flip top bottles and some in 16oz pet bottles. It's been 5 days at 70-75 degRees and the pet bottles are still soft and have no sediment in them. Does it take a long time for apfelwein to carbonate? Will there be yeast sediment in them? Usually my beer has some sediment by this time.

Higher alcohol may meaning longer for carbonation to occur. Less yeast from a longer primary may mean the same thing. I had a batch that took about a month before it properly carbed. At first I thought I'd messed up my sugar addition calculation, but it worked out in the end.

I tested mine the other night after a month and a couple days in primary. It was really dry, actually to dry for my tastes. So, I added another 1lb of sugar to backsweeten, and noticed that there were little bubbles coming up to the top. I hope this little secondary ferment doesn't take it back to dry. I did bottle 5 that were dry so I could at least test them after a while, maybe I'll like it better after some aging.

detlion1643 said:
I tested mine the other night after a month and a couple days in primary. It was really dry, actually to dry for my tastes. So, I added another 1lb of sugar to backsweeten, and noticed that there were little bubbles coming up to the top. I hope this little secondary ferment doesn't take it back to dry. I did bottle 5 that were dry so I could at least test them after a while, maybe I'll like it better after some aging.

Id imagine you will bring it back to dry. You will need to put the yeast to feast before you add the sugar

Is this an effect of the yeast then, as I'd read the montrachet yeast will ferment to dry? What yeasts won't ferment completely dry, if any?

I'd imagine this batch is staying dry then unless racked and then backsweetened, but I don't have a secondary, so I'll live with this batch as dry for now. Sounds like the rest of the batch might have a little higher abv from the minor secondary ferment :).

detlion1643 said:
Is this an effect of the yeast then, as I'd read the montrachet yeast will ferment to dry? What yeasts won't ferment completely dry, if any?

I'd imagine this batch is staying dry then unless racked and then backsweetened, but I don't have a secondary, so I'll live with this batch as dry for now. Sounds like the rest of the batch might have a little higher abv from the minor secondary ferment :).

Even racking won't prevent fermentation.

For the most part, yeast will ferment until the alcohol exceeds their tolerance. So if you want it sweet, you either need to make the potential alcohol higher than the strain's tolerance, or kill/stabilize the yeast before sweetening.

I think I get it now...

If I want it sweet, I can wait till it ferments dry, campden it, and then backsweeten. Just fermenting dry doesn't mean the yeast are completely done, just they are out of sugar for the time being. When I added the sugar without stabilizing it, the yeast went back to work. At least I'll be able to get it to my tastes soon, so thanks for that info. I can't wait to see how much more of a punch this packs with the minor secondary ferment. :tank:

glanced at my apfelwein last night. Still plenty of yeast in suspension. This heat wave has made my cool dark spot a lot less cool, it has been as warm as 75f in there recently. From what i think i recall reading, that should probably be ok for this stuff, ultimately.

Yeah mine has been fermenting at 76F for about 4 weeks now and it tastes fantastic. I'm probably going to be bottling soon as it is crystal clear but just wanted to wait 1 more week and take another hydro reading to make sure it is at 1.002 still.

Look at Cote des Blancs wine yeast,

The first batch of this I've made is carbing up now (started Sunday), and should hopefully be coming along nicely by the end of the week (I boost carbed). Already planning to start another batch tomorrow, as even still this stuff is delicious.

I have a quick question. I have a apfelwein in the primary for just a little over 2 months will be 3 months on the 28th. I noticed a few white floaties which I think are mold. There is not enough to were a picture would do justice. I sanitized as good as you can. So even if it is some mold should it be ok? My plan was to bottle at 3 months but do you guys think I should just bottle it tomorrow? If it is mold will it be ok once it is in the bottles?

I have a quick question. I have a apfelwein in the primary for just a little over 2 months will be 3 months on the 28th. I noticed a few white floaties which I think are mold. There is not enough to were a picture would do justice. I sanitized as good as you can. So even if it is some mold should it be ok? My plan was to bottle at 3 months but do you guys think I should just bottle it tomorrow? If it is mold will it be ok once it is in the bottles?

I just moved the carboy around to get a good view all round and it seems like it it is gone maybe dropped down to the bottom? Any way this could just be some yeast that floated to the top? Depending on all your info I may bottle tomorrow or wait a few more days and check on it

So long story short, I work with an Englishman who challenged me to a cider contest. I saw this thread and was wondering if I could make it, but not carb it when it comes to bottling. Does it impact the taste of it at all?

So long story short, I work with an Englishman who challenged me to a cider contest. I saw this thread and was wondering if I could make it, but not carb it when it comes to bottling. Does it impact the taste of it at all?

Pretty sure if you read through the first post, it's stated that it tastes good with or without carbonation.

with proper sanitation there's no reason you couldn't bottle it unprimed.

Are you sure that a cider spiked with sugar is going to fit within english cider competition rules and bylaws?

Considering it's a competition with three people, including me, I don't think abiding to English bylaws is crucial.

wuilliez said:
Considering it's a competition with three people, including me, I don't think abiding to English bylaws is crucial.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to carbonate it? The majority of people definitely prefer it carbed, and I personally find it a bit watery when flat.

The reason I don't want to carb it is because my British friend said it's better. I honestly have no experience with ciders, making or drinking, so I'm just going off of what he said.

It all boils down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer. However, as this guy is clearly in the tank for still, if you're all judging then you'd probably take penalty from him for sparkling.

wuilliez said:
The reason I don't want to carb it is because my British friend said it's better. I honestly have no experience with ciders, making or drinking, so I'm just going off of what he said.

Some ciders are better still, but especially with the extra sugar in apfelwein (meaning more alcohol produced, meaning a somewhat more "diluted" flavor), it really IS better carbed.

Yes, that's just IMO, but it's also certainly the opinion of a fairly vast majority. Why don't you just try doing some bottles still and other bottles sparkling? That way you can decide for yourself.

I'm going to make this tonight. Thinking about letting it go for a month then trying.. Are the results that much better when you let it go longer? I may be able to hold off longer because my first brew will be done by then so I can enjoy that and wait on this.

xMalachi said:
I'm going to make this tonight. Thinking about letting it go for a month then trying.. Are the results that much better when you let it go longer? I may be able to hold off longer because my first brew will be done by then so I can enjoy that and wait on this.

Yes they really are! Its really not that good at all for the first 6 months or so IMO.

Yes they really are! Its really not that good at all for the first 6 months or so IMO.

ok but how much of that is in primary and how much of that is in some other container?

I have enough kegs to let my batch sit around until xmas . . .

TimpanogosSlim said:
ok but how much of that is in primary and how much of that is in some other container?

I have enough kegs to let my batch sit around until xmas . . .

I normally do a 3 month primary and then age in the bottle for 6-9 months.

Anybody asking how to long to let it sit in primary, or how long it takes to ferment/clear: Longer than I let it lol...

I had it sitting around for 4 1/2 weeks and the bottom 1/4th of my better bottle was looking a lot clearer than the top 3/4's of it. I started to bottle it and also tested it. It tasted bad, dry/flat, and no apple flavor really. I re-capped it and put a little more sugar in (by mistake) and re-ferm. started right away. It's been 1 week since that and it's still going.

Point being, when I make this again, I will def. let since in primary for at 2, maybe 2 1/2 months, before even looking at it again. At least my batch here will be insanely high in alcohol... :drunk::drunk:

Latest posts

Back