What capper do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
I am needing a capper for a 12 oz bottle that accepts standard crown caps. I quick froogle search reveals several models ranging from 15 to 65 dollars. I was wondering what is the best tool for the job. The information I have found does not give me info about the caps or sizes it accepts.

If someone could help me out with this, I would be most appreciative.

Ya the Red Head is a great capper (I still have mine from my first equipment kit from 8 years ago). As is the Colona bench capper. What I like about the Colona is that it can cap just about any bottle out there.

I am needing a capper for a 12 oz bottle that accepts standard crown caps.
The information I have found does not give me info about the caps or sizes it accepts.

Caps are one standard size unless you're trying to cap oversized european bottles (think champagne bottles). In fact, you can still find old cork-lined caps on eBay that would work if you were crazy enough to use them.

I have a "vintage" metal bench capper from eBay that cost all of $10 shipped. It was probably made in the 30's or 40's and could likely survive being run over by a truck.

I don't bottle much anymore, but I highly recommend getting one - they're widely available and last forever. Just search "vintage capper" on eBay and you'll find a bunch.

That "Red Emily" is also known as the "Red Baron".

Before you buy make sure the metal clamps are removable/reversable.

Some of the clamps only have one set of arcs cut into them others have 2.

They are reversable so they can be used on two different sizes bottle necks. I brought back 20 cases of 1/2 liter bottles from gfermany. I have yet to break any bottle while capping.

If you hear of anyone breaking bottles while capping this is the reason for it. They're crimping a larger (diameter) neck with the smaller clamps and crushing the necks of the bottle while crimping (pressing too hard on the handles). ;)

A couple of years ago I posted a couple of pictures of the clamping plates (whatever they are called).

I've got this capper and it works like a charm. Although, I must admit I've only used it for one bottling day :D

That's the one I use - the red one.

I use a beer gun - I fill, and my wife caps.

Works fine.

Only broke one bottle a long time ago (first started brewing and had too much beer to drink - don't think that was the problem though - bad bottle)

Latest posts

Back