Trappist yeast strong enough for a heavy gravity Belgian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole_hops

Reaction score
My OG was 1.093. Its been fermenting for a week and appears to be fermenting fine. There is a 1.5 inch yeast cake and pretty heavy activity. Should I let it continue to do its thing or should I consider repitching?

So, your seeing "pretty heavy actvity" and you want to know if you should repitch???? I think your fine. I'm not sure I understand, but if you worried about your yeast cake being big, I wouldn't worry about it.

The yeast cake you speak about is more likely to be hops, break material, and probably some yeast. Leave it be for 3 weeks. If it makes you feel better you can agitate the fermenter , I mollest my carboy all the time. :)

Thanks for the reply. I was more concerned with the type of yeast I used for such a high gravity beer. After pitching, I was combing the forums and I see that many people use specially formulated yeast for beers over 1.08.

I understand that this beer may remain in the primary for a very long time, but I wanted to make sure that its not a lost cause. I guess as long as the yeast are doing their thing, I should be good.
Thanks again.

Back