gelatin in my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I heated 1 cup water to boil, then cooled to 170 and mixed in one pack of knox unflavored gelatin. I added it to my secondary when it was 100 degrees, then I racked my IPA on top of it. Here's my question. Does the secondary have to be below a certain temp for the gelatin to form? It's sitting at 68 degrees and it's been 24 hours and the beer isn't showing any signs of clearing.

the beer should be cold for gelatin to work best. I dont know if it even works at all with warm beer

Also, next time rack your beer to secondary 1st and then add the gelatin. I think it works better and faster that way. Also, I cold crash BEFORE I add the gelatin. Good luck! My beer comes out crystal clear this way.

i have used gelatin finnigs at room temp and it works fine.

racked my ipa to secondary 7 days ago and dry hopped. im considering using the gelatin because i have not seen much clearing at all in the beer. cold crashing is not an option. when you used at room temperature, what was your method? i keep thinking that the suspended particles will sink but i can sit and watch the particles fall to the bottom while at the same time others are rising to the top. temp is at a steady 72F. how much longer should i wait before biting the bullet and throwing in the gelatin or bottling?

My beers are always cloudy, I think its my water or something I don't know. But anyway for my last brew I added 2 tbs of gelatin to 2 c of 170 degree water, let it sit and cool for a long time (to around room temp). Racked my beer on top (a light ale), and left it for only a few days before bottling. It is absolutely clear. No other finnings were used. No issues. I never even cold crashed (except in the bottle).

Does the secondary have to be below a certain temp for the gelatin to form?

The gelatin does not gel up. In fact, you don't want it too. You are diluting it enough so it won't gel up. Gelatin is made of proteins which are covered in positive and negative charges. When added to beer, these charges attract the particulate in the beer causing a sort of snowball effect. This stage will actually work better at warmer temperatures. Eventually the "snowball" gets big enough and settles out. This later part now works better at cooler temperatures. The best would be to let it sit for 24-48 hrs at fermentation temps, and then cold crash. It will still work with no cold crash, it will just take longer (still shorter than without though). I will also work if done cold the whole time, but could take longer if the beer is fairly cloudy (it will take longer for the "snowballs" to get big enough)

If it does gel up, then you have less charges to attract the particulate, which would be less efficient

gelatin does not do anything but make your beer clearer, correct?

As long as you use unflavored gelatin (Knox) - you won't have any problems. If you add strawberry flavored Jello.... well, you might have other issues.

Back