New to SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a couple of hop plants that I purchased this September. They were planted right away and I'm hoping the yield some hope like my first year Cascades and Nuggets did. The gentleman selling them had no idea what kind they are, as they were growing on his property when he moved in. I remember reading about someone else who had unknown hops and they were told to do a SMaSH. I would like to try this if I do get hops from those 2 plants. Are there any instructions available to newcomers like me? Like what kind of malt to use, etc.? Thanks.

Eric

Also, if anyone has a recipe for a 2-2.5 gal batch that would be great. It would fit perfect in my Mr. Beer fermenter.

Eric

Can this be done with extracts as well? I think I'm going to move into AG brewing before the end of this year, but I would like to try a few easier batches/kits before I make the jump. Thanks for your help!

Eric

Can this be done with extracts as well? I think I'm going to move into AG brewing before the end of this year, but I would like to try a few easier batches/kits before I make the jump. Thanks for your help!

Eric

Did you look at the "What the heck is a smash" thread? Iirc I posted info about how it can be done as an extract.

When going about it the AG route, do you keep the heat on after you reach your desired temp(154, 155, etc.) or do you get it as close as possible and then turn the heat off, put the lid on and let it sit for an hour? I guess what I'm asking is do you need to keep it at the desired temp constantly during the mashing process?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure its right when I try it.

Eric

Back