Can you open the keg lid once beer is carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
I recently kegged my first beer, a pumpkin ale. Now I want to add more spices and more lactose. If I turn off the pressure and vent will I be able to open the lid w/ out carbonated beer erupting out?

Yes you can, just pull the air release ring on top, let the co2 escape, and pop the top.....Just be sure that when you close it up again, to purge the air out with co2 before you crank up the pressure.....

It will have no affect on your carb. level.

Wild Duk is correct.
The most important part will be after you put the lid back on to re-apply the gas and purge the air out of the keg. Otherwise the keg will spoil in 24 hours b/c of the oxygen you introduced to the keg.

Wild Duk is correct.
The most important part will be after you put the lid back on to re-apply the gas and purge the air out of the keg. Otherwise the keg will spoil in 24 hours b/c of the oxygen you introduced to the keg.

I've not ever had that happen when I open one of my kegs and forget to purge, just put the pressure back on.

Anyway if you are adding spices make sure you are ready to slap that lid back on, some things will provide plenty of nucleation sites so after you pour it in the beer will start foaming quickly. I had that happen with a stout I was adding lactose and cocoa powder to, even though I'd boiled it in water it caused it to foam up. I got the lid back on in time though.

Awesome!

In regards to purging the air out, I already forgot to purge when I put the beer in originally, oops, but will do so this time.

And thanks for the heads up on foaming conpewter. Good to know also that someone else has added lactose to carbed beer, I have been trying to find an answer to that one too!

Mahalo!

Wild Duk is correct.

The oxidation reactions that occur in beer proceed very slowly at temperatures less than 80 degrees.

Just a little side note, its always good to drop the lid to the keg in sanitizer (Starsan) when its off, that way you will have a nice clean lid to throw back on there, and any leaks will show up as bubbles. I over do on sanitization but it never hurts.

On the oxidation front... remember that CO2 is significantly heavier than O2 and Nitrogen, so it forms a safety blanket.
Yet another reason to RDWHAHB.

Back