Massive Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
First I forgot to preheat my MLT cooler. I just installed a ballvalve in it and was so carried away with making sure that I wasnt leaking that I forgot to preheat, I hit my first rest at 122 but when I went to bump up to 154 I undershot way low and ended up at 135.
I added 3qt 175 deg water and it barely moved after I mixed it in. I dont even know what to do at this point because I dont want to add any more water.
I am removing some of the "mash" liquid and heating that and adding it back. I think I might still be ok now the the MLT is finally heated but who knows at this point, I DONT, thats for sure.

If I undershoot a rest, I just do a decoction with a portion of mostly the thick part of the mash. I've also added in some boiling water. Adding back in hot mash or boiling water is not enough to denature enzymes.

Keep in mind that the enzymes are in the liquid and if you heat that you might denautre enough of them to have conversion issues. What kind of malt were you using to do a 122 rest?

+1 on decoction being your way out.

Also, if you hit your first rest at 122 degrees and that temperature held for the length of the rest, pre-heating is not your problem. You'll have to adjust your saccrification infusion temperature to match the heat loss getting your system up to the next step.

it was plain ordinary 2-row. The directions that I got with the kit were do to a rest at 122. Didnt think that I needed it with 2-row but figured I would just follow. I just tasted the mash and it actually alot sweeter then I was thinking. However, cant check my gravity, broke my hydrometer yesterday night while cleaning for today. oh well.

I have my sparge water heated up now so I guess Ill tell you how it went when its finished. Thanks guys.

The recipe is based on this malt and the grist. I was a kit from Northern Brewer. All the other AG kits I have gotten through them have come out great so I figured I would just follow the directions as they say.

Back